PDA

View Full Version : Flying in a cast

muppetbum
1st Apr 2009, 16:14
My brother has broken his arm. He's due to be in a cast for about 8 weeks.
Unfortunately he is due to fly from the UK to Tenerife in about 6 weeks :ugh:

Have just a had a phone conversation with my Mother who says that no airline will let you fly with a full cast on.

Is this true? (my mother can get the wrong end of the stick sometimes )
and if so , out of curiousity, why?

apologies for not having info about the airline etc but I'm relaying third hand info!

strake
1st Apr 2009, 17:13
Phone the airline and ask.

I can't see it would be a problem..as long as he could get out of the aircraft in an emergency without holding anyone up.

OFSO
1st Apr 2009, 17:47
Can't see any LEGAL reason why he shouldn't fly but some airlines - no names, no packdrill - may have their own regulations or make spur-of-the-moment decisions.

Call airline, ask.

Also, get to checkin early as security may make a special examination to ensure he hasn't got a dangerous weapon such as a pot of joghurt or bottle of water inside the cast.

dollydaydream
1st Apr 2009, 17:49
I believe there may be restrictions if flying with a new cast as aggreivated swelling may impede the blood flow. However after 6 weeks there will be some give in the cast, the arm will no doubt be thinner so allowing room for any change in size whilst flying. Keep an eye on color of fingers, use a sling and keep fingers moving. Check with your Dr and travel insurance company - they may need a letter stating your fitness to fly.

RevMan2
1st Apr 2009, 19:31
Google "flying with plaster cast" for background information, then contact your airline and GET THEIR REGULATIONS IN WRITING.

Demonstrate compliance with them and you'll have no trouble.

Sparelung
2nd Apr 2009, 08:11
As the previous poster has said, get the airline's guidelines first, but most carriers will allow him to fly with a cast that is "bi-valved". It's basically cut in half lengthways and then held together with an elastic bandage to compensate for any extra swelling onboard. Your brother's fracture clinic will be able to do it for him, and I'd avise him to get a letter saying what has been done to the cast so he doesn't have to dismantle it at the gate!

boardingpass
2nd Apr 2009, 14:53
In my airline a doctor's certificate indicating 'fit to fly' is required for any cast, and it must be recently dated.

apaddyinuk
2nd Apr 2009, 15:54
There is no restriction on people with casts to fly however it could become very uncomfortable if there is no way to relieve the pressure buildup. It maybe worth his while shortly before the flight going back to the hospital and getting a removable brace. I had one about two years ago after I broke my arm, they never actually put a cast on me as I had my arm plated but as a result of the accident I had to fly back to my folks so the doctor told me that it was possible to have a brace fitted if it needed it!

redsnail
2nd Apr 2009, 16:27
There are different requirements based on the length of the flight and how recently the cast was put on. It may need splitting etc. (usually for new breaks)

The most critical is the first 24 hours.

As other posters have said, it is because the limb will swell within the first 24 hours + you're at a reduced air pressure, all leading to a limb being constricted. Not good.

Since you're looking at 4 weeks then it *should* be ok. However, do not take my word for it, get your brother to contact the airline directly, explain when the break occurred etc and get the answer from them.

Eboy
3rd Apr 2009, 00:51
I broke my arm in December. Since I was due to immediately fly, the doctor put my arm in a splint -- two long rigid strips of plaster along my arm wrapped with elastic cloth tape. I flew with that fine for a week since it had some give. On returning, and without any flying for a while, I was put into a regular cast. What can be done depends on the nature of the break and what your doctor is comfortable with.

This was all in the US. At each stop, TSA asked me to take off my sling (if I could, which I could), walk through the metal detector, then they swabbed the splint for explosives.

tezzer
3rd Apr 2009, 06:07
I'm sure you mean SWABBED the splint for explosives !:bored:

Eboy
3rd Apr 2009, 11:10
Thank you! I fixed the typo.

GwynM
3rd Apr 2009, 11:38
Sorry, I read the title and had the vision of the cast of Chicago, Spamalot or the Sound of mMusic flying out together - how would the crew cope with scantilly clad ladies or nuns (not scantilly clad) marching up and down the aisle singing?

muppetbum
3rd Apr 2009, 15:06
Thanks for the replies. You've confirmed exactly what I thought.
Bless my Mom , she does have a tendency to "misremember". I'm sure my brother was told exactly what you've confirmed "check with the airline and get a docs note" rather than " you can't fly in a cast!"

Cheers all