PDA

View Full Version : Qantas has another Oxygen Bottle Incident

Torqueman
1st Apr 2009, 14:04
Rumours running very hot is that Qantas has had another Oxy bottle explode on a 747. This time it happened on the gate at Melbourne Airport. Not sure of any further details at this stage but I believe a staff member was badley injured.

So before the QF bashing goes out of control, please keeps this injured person in your thoughts.

apacau
1st Apr 2009, 22:24
I really do hope this is a poor attempt at an April fools joke, because if not, well, need I say more?...

rammel
1st Apr 2009, 22:40
No, not an April fools joke. There was an oxy fire last night, I think it was on the oxy cart, not the aircraft. One person was injured and last I heard he had burns to his arms, but is ok.

This is all I know, but I do hope that the person is going to be ok. One thought I did have though is could this accident be related to the oxy/nitrogen cart incident a few months ago.

max autobrakes
2nd Apr 2009, 01:21
Got to keep those threads on the connections nicely greased in order to prevent corrosion.:uhoh:

Torqueman
2nd Apr 2009, 02:02
Just to back up what Rammel has posted. The infomation coming through does appear to suggest it was and oxy bottle on a ground service cart.

My thoughts are for those involved and wish them a speedy recovery.

LM82
2nd Apr 2009, 02:54
So before the QF bashing goes out of control, please keeps this injured person in your thoughts.

So you post it here?

Nudlaug
2nd Apr 2009, 03:35
Yes, not "another" Qantas oxygen bottle incident but a fairly new service cart oxygen cylinder blew a supply line and resulted in a fire ball straight into the engineers face and arms and put him to hospital. He is ok though and got released.
The line was not connected to the aircraft, the cylinder was just being turned on to check the bottle pressure when one steel braided line let go. Quite a nasty surprise for the unlucky one to check the bottle i say!
:eek:

Short_Circuit
2nd Apr 2009, 04:49
Thank goodness we now outsource the manufacture of ground equipment

otherwise QF would have to pay the compensation.

Outsourcing, what a great idea, NOT. :ugh:

(Hope the engineer is ok and fully recovers)

Kiwiconehead
2nd Apr 2009, 06:26
The line was not connected to the aircraft, the cylinder was just being turned on to check the bottle pressure when one steel braided line let go

Wasn't there a safety alert about these recently? The teflon lined steel braided ones.

There certainly was one circulated in QFLink as Sunnies had one go bang fairly recently - I assume those sort of things go up from the Link as we get ones coming down from big brother.

BrissySparkyCoit
2nd Apr 2009, 07:43
Apparently, this is the 2nd cart of this make/model to have experienced failure in this manner. All have now been quarantined.

Kiwiconehead
3rd Apr 2009, 10:59
Back on topic - my memory in post #10 is a bit fuzzy unfortunately.

Digging through my emails at work today the alert we had a QFLink not long ago was about a rubber HP line that let go on an oxy rig and they were recommending we change to the teflon lined steel braid type ones. :ugh:

Didn't apply to my base as our rigs have copper pigtail piping from bottle to manifold.

Sorry 'bout that.

BrissySparkyCoit
3rd Apr 2009, 12:38
Kiwi, from what our GSE bloke said yesterday, it sounds like a line let go on that rig in Melbourne. Apparently, the carts in question are Australian manufactured and were chosen over British made carts despite the Aussie ones being thousands of dollars more expensive. We have the imported carts in Brissy and have had no trouble with them.

Long Bay Mauler
5th Apr 2009, 09:53
How long before qantas start issuing ATPs because they cannot service low crew oxy because all the carts are quarantined?

I am sure CASA wont be impressed either.

fordran
5th Apr 2009, 10:35
I am sure CASA wont be impressed either.

Why would CASA care if Qantas issue themselves another ATP?