PDA

View Full Version : A different approach to the Rex cadet program?

parsec
1st Apr 2009, 13:25
Hi,

I have read a few threads here on the rex cadet program and have some idea of the downsides of the program. Obviously the long commitment required at low wages is a major downside.

I'm currently a PhD student, but I'm not finding it awfully engaging and am starting to think I need to pursue a change in career. Flying has always been a childhood dream of mine. I have only been on one trial flight, but I loved it. I'm going to be doing another one next week.

I was wondering whether the Rex program could be considered to be good value with a view to pay back their 80k loan in full thus breaking my 5/6 year commitment. I am hoping I'd get the scholarship so I would not have to pay back any money straight away.

I have about 40k saved up and would like to spend it pursuing a career in flying. The way I see it, the advantage of this approach would be that I get to defer any debt (thus allowing my 40k to grow moderately in size), and get a job as a pilot straight away, thus allowing me to accrue valuable flight time.

As far as I'm aware (I don't know much about the industry), getting a job after the 150 hours of flight time required to obtain a license is difficult, and so the rex program's guaranteed job placement seems quite attractive.

After gaining the necessary experience to get a flying job with better pay conditions, I could hopefully pay the loan in full and move on.

I live at home so I am okay with living off very little money and I think I could save the 80k in a couple of years time.

Does the rex program give me the training and experience needed to seek other flying jobs? Can anyone see any flaws in this plan? Is my 80k better spent learning to fly elsewhere? Can one obtain a job pursuing professional flying this way?

Thanks

sion22
1st Apr 2009, 13:48
most of us over here would find £40,000 enough to get through the JAA training

don't blow all your money now!

if you can stick it, complete your education and start your PPL part time and hour build part time.

parsec
1st Apr 2009, 23:55
$40000 is substantially less. I'm not sure that's enough.

I should mention I live in Sydney, and would like to work out of sydney. A lot of people seem to be citing this as a problem with rex (the fact that you will have to move to sydney).

parsec
2nd Apr 2009, 00:00
Okay... reading this long archived rex thread is making me very wary.