PDA

View Full Version : Why NIGEL?

Tom Cat
3rd Jun 2000, 21:23
Hello! Why is a British Airways pilot known as/a NIGEL? Thanks in advance!

Cornish Jack
5th Jun 2000, 11:39
Maybe one reason was a lovely cartoon from the genius pen of Figment (when is he going to appear, as promised, please??).
The cartoon showed a 737 with the, then popular, car windscreen sunshades with the occupant's names. The two occupants were shown as Nigel and Tracey. I have a coffee mug, with said cartoon on it, on my desk at the moment. :) :)

Otto-Pilot
5th Jun 2000, 19:46
It's what they're all called isn't it? Friday morning I blagged my way onto the jumpseat (I'm only a humble wannabe) on a BA flight Edinburgh to Gatwick. The Captain introduced himself as Nigel ...

Top blokes, Nigel and Ben (FO), thoroughly enjoyed the jumpseat. Wish I could land like that! Shame the FO will presumeably never make Captain without changing his name :-) Jammy git looked younger than me too, only in the job a year and already flying 737-400. I hate him!

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
9th Jun 2000, 00:52
OK ,it might not be as obvious as I thought.
Despite the best efforts of all BA's human resource people the vast majority of them are still Home counties Public school WASPS.At least thats how they sound on the radio.
BTW ,officers in the marines are known as "Ruperts"

overstress
11th Jun 2000, 03:14
Part of the 3-week company induction course was the 'elocution' day where we were all tort 'ow to speak proper, like. Ectualleh, old bean, etc. Instills confidence in the passengers, what. 'Pilots' is pronounced 'peel-ohs' , things like that ;)

Jurassic Jet Man
2nd Jan 2001, 20:25
Was the grind spinning rind and rind?!

DCDriver
2nd Jan 2001, 21:24
Did anyone see "Airshow" on TV a while ago that followed some of today's BA cadets through training and onto the line? Most of them were named "Wayne" or "Marvin" and no doubt wore earrings off duty. And yes, many had a limited vocabulary & spoke like barrow boys, similar to the EZY F/O ("Jason")who informed us recently that we were flying at "firty-free fousand feet".

Now when I was at the College of Knowledge, old boy.....

BOING
2nd Jan 2001, 22:24
I thought "Nigel" was invented by Roger Bacon of Flight International along with Captain Speaking et al.

------------------

Basil
3rd Jan 2001, 07:39
Ref elocution, I recollect my flight commander in the RAF threatening to send me for speech training due my Greenock accent. Lucky for him I'd decided I wanted to stay in and just replied "Yes sir." instead of inviting him to join me on my side of his desk :) an' him only a navigator too!

Knold
3rd Jan 2001, 17:55
Nigel schmigel

ZZZZZ