PDA

View Full Version : Looking for books about flying technique from 1920s and 1930s

deltayankee
1st Apr 2009, 09:41
I am looking for practical civilian flying books for pilots from the 1920s and 1930s or perhaps earlier. Can anyone recommend any interesting books? I am not interested in the memoirs of pilots or books about the aircraft; just "how to" guides for pilots, preferably written by people who knew how to fly themselves.

The oldest books of this genre that I have found is Frederick Collin's "How to Fly" from 1917, which includes just a paragraph or two about actual flying. From these paragraphs it is evident that the author had never tried flying himself.

DeepestSouth
1st Apr 2009, 12:09
If you can get hold of a copy "Practical Flying" by Major WG McMinnies RAF and Captain EL Ford RAF, with a Foreword by Major-General WS Branckner CMG! Published in 1918 by Temple Press Ltd, 245 Rosebery Avenue, London EC1. I have a copy of the Second Edition. It has almost a complete flying course in it - Chapters on the Theory and Practice of Flight, Engines, Lessons in the Air, Solo Flight, Map Reading, Cross,Country, Advanced Flying (inc aerobatics), Night Flying, How to Instruct and Be Instructed, and Medical Aspects of Aviation. It also has some superb maps, diagrams and illustrations, plus fascinating adverts in it for aircraft (AV Roe, Graham-White, Regent Carriage Co), spares, flying suits by Burberry and so on.

Before anyone asks, my copy is staying with me! You could try the British Library:=.

deltayankee
1st Apr 2009, 13:27
Many thanks for the recommendation; this looks like exactly the thing I am looking for. I have found a copy of the first edition at a major online used book seller so I will be ordering a copy.