PDA

View Full Version : Administrator Privileges

boofhead
1st Apr 2009, 07:09
I tried to open a program that was to check for and remove the Conficker worm (sysclean by trend micro), but my computer said I did not have administrator privileges. In fact it does not even give me that message now, but refuses to run at all. I checked and the name my computer runs under is supposed to be an administrator. I was using Mozilla Firefox and the computer uses Vista. I checked for the worm and according to Microsoft if I get updates and can download virus protection I do not have the infection, although I thought that it was preventing me from running the protection program.
Has anyone got a suggestion for checking and removing this worm, and how can I be sure I do have administrator privileges, or restore them if I do not?

green granite
1st Apr 2009, 08:16
Not certain if it's available in Vista but in windows 7 you can right click on a program and then choose the "run as administrator" option.

Jofm5
1st Apr 2009, 14:07
Yes it is available in vista

Saab Dastard
1st Apr 2009, 15:26
And XP... :)

boofhead
1st Apr 2009, 22:00
Is that the same? I thought it was how the machine is set up; you can set up sign on names for non-administrators. I have not done that, and signing on is supposed to be as an administrator. The computer told me I could not run the program, not the program itself.