PDA

View Full Version : Low Visibility Procedures

Crash and Burn
29th Dec 2000, 03:22
Low Visibility Procedures.

I recently had a chat with an Air Traffic Control Officer friend after a Professional Pilot (in this case I use the term loosely) decided to pass comment over the RT after he made an error. Basically the Pilot blamed the controller, and was way out of line. In fact the crew concerned do not even know that they where in the wrong, let me explain.

The majority of airports in the UK and Europe for that matter do not have Surface Movement Radar, so position reports and listening out are absolutely crucial. I was number two behind the crew mentioned above and our company policy is to listen out as much as possible. From merely doing that it was evident that two 737’s where on final approach ten miles apart (due to the RVR of 350M) and no other traffic was on frequency. After the first arrival had reported at taxiing speed, it was given the appropriate instructions and subsequently reported vacating. The crew ahead where instructed to line up and report entering the runway. After two minutes the controller had to ask if they had lined up, to which a sarcastic comment was passed (very professional guys!). This crew where then cleared for “Take-off” and two minutes later they asked the controller was the runway sterile for there departure. My first officer and I could not believe what was going on in their machine as the next arriving aircraft had just reported passing 3.5 miles. Anyway the aircraft took off and the crew on final approach were advised that the localiser may not be secure for the next minute or so, due to this late departure. The result was that the auto-pilot disconnected and a go-around initiated. As the crew levelled off at the Missed approach level they asked for details that lead up to this go-around. The controller merely stated that the aircraft ahead lingered far too long after being cleared to go. As in character this lingering EA32 pilot gave off abuse over the Tower RTF, saying that his instructions were vague and his first officer didn’t understand. I must say, does your company employ monkeys or what?… My F/O straight out of oxford with 301 hours right now understood exactly what the deal was!. In fact this EA32 Pilot went on about his how long his check-list takes to complete. At this point we had a good chuckle as we had a bad slot giving us 22 minutes of delay. The guy ahead was at the hold for some 17 minutes.

These outbursts are totally out of hand and this incident was caused by the crew not being aware of what was going on, ie not listening out. If they actually had a problem they should have mentioned it before they lined-up. The length of time lingering before Vr was excessive bearing in mind they was told about the gap in the traffic. This crew cause one go-around and blocked the frequency for three other stations including myself, so much for CRM.

In short as my friend suggests, report entering the runway, rolling, and airborne, then everyone has a clue as to where you are!!!…. Oh yeh, don’t waste time and be civil about it, these guys are there to help not hinder !! remember that when the brown stuff hits the big N1 fan !!!

PS: F.A.O. Management NATS, NO WAY TO PRIVATISATION IT’S A BAD DEAL!