PDA

View Full Version : Cheerful Radar

18th Oct 2001, 00:13
A friend mentioned to me recently that a particular colleague of mine always seemed very chirpy on the R/T - so we thought we'd ask all you Ppruners if there were any ATC units/agencies that always seem to be cheerful when you call? Who (if anyone) do you really enjoy talking to?

(And I don't mean who gives you the best/worst service - just who sounds happiest!!)

Orangewing
18th Oct 2001, 00:21
The bird with the husky voice at LTN makes my day every time !! :D :D

Wycombe
18th Oct 2001, 01:17
Farnborough LARS - very cheerful (and helpful) chappies!

Wycombe
18th Oct 2001, 01:20
.....oh, and the least cheerful, some right misery at Elstree! (not radar, I know, but very miserable!)

Oleo
18th Oct 2001, 02:50
There is an (older?) chap on London freq who is about the second/third person I talk to heading out of Stansted who is amazingly chirpy. It is always a pleasure to talk to him. There is also a chap on the ground freq at EGSS who is scarily chirpy.

Makes the day happier - thanks guys and gals.

(And to the very very few ATC given to sarcarsm - it doesn't benefit anyone thanks.)

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: Oleo ]

Deeko01
20th Oct 2001, 23:06
Theres two at EDI ATC, both english, the one with the far south accent is lovely she makes my day!!!! ;) ;) ;)

PA38
21st Oct 2001, 01:36
Is the miserable easten european sounding man still at Liverpool, he must rate as a contender for the Victor Meldrew award :p
On the other hand Manchester radar are always helpfull no matter how busy they are, unless you want a radar info service :D

Grandad Flyer
21st Oct 2001, 01:45
There's a guy on 135.05 always sounds really happy.
Essex Radar/ Director, them two, well do they ever have time off? Its always the same chaps! You always come to expect them, and feel you know them because its always the same cheery sing-song tone of voice on 120.62.
Course, they usually tell us to do the opposite of what we want to do, we are just waiting for the immediate "number 1, speed 180" but its kind of nice and reassuring to come home to.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
21st Oct 2001, 02:27
Both Farnborough Radar and Brize Radar get my vote for being both cheerful and helpful.

My last flight through Brize zone went along the lines of :
Me : "... request transit through your zone ..."
Brize : "... can you accept a climb to 3000 feet?"
Me : "... negative ..."
Brize : "... can you accept vectors? "
Me : "... affirm ..."
Brize then diverted me about 5 miles off my planned track, then put me back on it after the conflicting traffic (BAe Hawks) had left and then finished with a "no further traffic in my zone, maintain 2000', resume own navigation"
It kept the nav. workload of this student pilot nice and low (thanks...!)

---Mik

BOAC
21st Oct 2001, 02:48
High up the list must be the Antipodean Maastricht controller who offered us a set of Encyclopaedia Britannica (check spelling!) one night, as he had just got married........and his wife seemed to know everything. And, of course, anyone who still 'chugalugs'.

G'day mate, if you're listening.

Oleo
22nd Oct 2001, 02:15
Hey,if a man speaks in a forest and his wife is not there to hear him....

... is he still wrong?

Semaphore Sam
23rd Oct 2001, 05:11
Oleo
By definition.
Sam

ATCbabe
23rd Oct 2001, 16:37
I know this thread was supossed to be about cheery ATC units, but it works the other way too.
There is a klm pilot that flys into my unit who is always polite and happy. No matter how busy and stressful a day it has been, he always brings a smile not only to my face but also to any other "girlie" that happens to hear him!!!
A big thanks to him, whoever he is!!
;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Oct 2001, 17:55
Ahh.. the heady days when Captain French used to fly BEA 1-11s into Heathrow. Nobody is/ was/ ever will be as cheerful as he. Just love to meet him.

We get used to pilots voices on the R/T and there are some I've spoken to for many years who still cheers me when they call. Mildly humourous exchanges also relieve the boredom, even "head north, speed south" in response to "turn right heading 360, speed 180" really helps brighten the day.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
23rd Oct 2001, 21:11
How about the 'Pub Singer' on the Heathrow ATIS?

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2001, 21:31
Most helpful in my experience is Solent Radar, they routinely go out of their way to offer clearances or information that might be helpful, even if you never asked for it. Several times I've declared routes around their zone to be offered radar control through it, saving me a fair bit of time.

For the light aircraft pilots amongst us, the chappie in the tower at Sandown IOW is ceaslessly cheerful - even when I rang on a mobile from a field next to the M3 to cancel my PPR!

G

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Oct 2001, 22:22
Whipping Boy... reminds me of the Christmas cracker riddles on the ATIS. Oh what fun!!

Meatbomber
24th Oct 2001, 10:31
Cheerfull... hmmm Hamburg Approach !

There's this nice girl on there who i've met in person ... hearing her makes my day... but might be diffferent for thos who don't have the ... errr insight :)

vertigo
24th Oct 2001, 17:16
Heathrow director,

Do you remember the Air France light twin that used to fly in a couple of years ago ?

Now she had a voice. Speakers used to go on all around the room. :D

White Knight
24th Oct 2001, 19:31
An Amsterdam - Schiphol arrivals ATCer to be more exact who said goodbye to every pilot in his own language. I wondered what the Brits would get and it turned out to be a cheery "toodle oo Flyer xyz". Made us both laugh up front.
And how about the very polite LATCC- Thankyou sir, good day sir, ten degrees left and report the heading please sir.... What a nice chap. :) :) :)

Lowtimer
26th Oct 2001, 15:00
Whizzing around East Anglia, the Wattisham MATZ always seems a friendly place, going out of their way to anticipate the likely needs of a VFR lightweight like me. While the Americans at Lakenheath are efficient, one controller I has there a few months ago was evidently on a mission to see how many words he could pack into each unyielding second - a bit counterproductive, lots of people were having to ask "say again".

PPRuNe Dispatcher
27th Oct 2001, 11:52
I don't know how Farnborough radar manage to always sound professional and not either laugh or cry when they hear an initial call like this which I heard earlier this month (and it wasn't me!!!) :

"Hello, Farnborough radar, we're a -err- fixed wing and we're flying from such-and-such airfield in such-and-such county to such-and-such airfield in such-and-such county and we're going to fly direct we'd like to fly through your area and I'm not sure of our height oh yes its about two thousand feet and we've got three people on board we're heading about north but it's a bit bumpy and we're going to need a squark I think" :eek:

Puritan
27th Oct 2001, 12:36
My vote too has to go to the chap you speak to when in/out of Stansted - can't quite remember what frequency he's always on, but he sounds quite distinctive, uhm, e.g. perhaps something akin to that BBC weather presenter Ian McCaskill (but without the Scottish accent) - he's a cool controller too !

That said, most controllers are pretty friendly imho.

Chirpy Pilot
27th Oct 2001, 23:48
There was alovely lady controller at Filton about 18 months ago, she was excellent on my initial IR. Very calming, pleasant and I believe she was well aware of the pressures the poor student was under. Hope she is still there or got promtion. I did phone her up after passing and thanking her for her help. :D

le loup garou
28th Oct 2001, 00:16
There is a guy on Maastricht, English accent always makes me smile, whats that? Oh okay over to Blighty on 12blah decimal blah, blah, blah. :) :)

QNH1013
28th Oct 2001, 07:35
Ok, for a change of Geography, there is a particularly lovely lass on Singapore Radar 127.3 that is brilliant, always freindly and accommodating and who I love talking to. And there is a lady that that reads the Brunei airport ATIS with a voice that will melt your heart. Almost like seduction on VHF!

Lawyerboy
29th Oct 2001, 13:53
Puritan - that's the chap on Essex Radar, I think. I was listening out to him direct the big boys into Stansted on Saturday while I was flying out of Stapleford. Cheerful ******, can't deny that, but good grief how does anyone ever understand a word of it? Another one trying to win the prize for most words disgorged in a minute.

Edited for disbelief - I can't say ******? How peculiar.

[ 29 October 2001: Message edited by: Lawyerboy ]

eagerbeaver
31st Oct 2001, 15:11
The, and I stress this CHAP who works Cambridge Twr and Radar has the coolest old boy posh voice ever, triffic! Always makes me smile.

31st Oct 2001, 22:21
....and my vote goes to - UKA F100 drivers.

How do you stay so cheerful? Is there something "special" in the crew meals you pick up at EHAM!?!

PPRuNe Radar
1st Nov 2001, 04:11
Well I am usually cheerful............ ;)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2001, 12:16
Vertigo.. aaah yes! BUT - remember the inevitable rule.. those with the sexiest voices are usually those sitting on two chairs!

Hermie
6th Nov 2001, 08:03
QNH1013,

Yea, I've heard her on Singapore Radar 127.3 and on 133.25. Super seXy voice, like it when she says the number "0".

If only I can hear her voice everyday on every frequency :D , damn thats fettish !

Heathrow Director,

It can be true, BIG time ! :eek:

--------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Herman :cool:

PAXboy
8th Nov 2001, 17:44
Last year, on a visit to South Africa, I was able to visit the tower at JNB. I was also introduced to the ATC folks.

Talking to the woman on the position that covers the East/South Atlantic, pretty much from the 'bulge' down to Cape Town. She said that European crews were always very pleased to hear them! This may well have something to do with the professional approach of the controllers elsewhere in that continent!

I am sure that Guv can give us his experiences of African ATC!

Crash Barrier
8th Nov 2001, 20:10
Paxboy,

Ho Ho Ho, you are just SOOOOO Funny!

8th Nov 2001, 21:30
I remember visiting the flight deck on a trip to Cape Town (admittedly a few years ago now); the crew were most annoyed that the last ATC they had "managed to raise" was somewhere on the Med. coast - I think we were over Namibia at the time!!

ShyTorque
10th Nov 2001, 15:57
Got an inadvertent funny whilst booking out by phone yesterday (won't say where to protect the lady's embarrassment).

Having been passed our outbound details, she asked me if we were returning later, to which my answer was yes. She asked me what time; I said it wasn't confirmed yet.

Her answer was "Let me know what time so I can do a strip for you".

She got the joke a second before I did! Howls of laughter from the other end of the phone, shortly followed by mine!

Really made my day. :D

HugMonster
10th Nov 2001, 18:41
I can't believe this thread got so long without anyone mentioning Christine @ BHD!

Easily the nicest, fun to talk to...

Worst has to be Mr. Angry, formerly of BFS, now, I believe at LDY.

And sexiest is a TWR controller @ HUY. What that voice could do for me!

Spoonbill
11th Nov 2001, 00:50
HUGI am personally aquainted with the lady in question at HUY, (though not in the biblical sense! :( ), an introduction could be made for the appropriate fee...... :cool:

achtung
15th Nov 2001, 11:58
Some of us do try to inject a sense of humour to our RT and chat, but you wouldn't believe the amount of miserable individuals(can't really say what I'd like to!) who sit around us!! not to mention some of those who are flying overhead!!

Gonzo
15th Nov 2001, 13:52
I have to agree with you there, Achtung, some of the looks I get from my colleagues when I say 'toodle-oo' on the RT are sharp enough to kill!

Gonzo.

le loup garou
16th Nov 2001, 18:18
Huggie, Have to agree with you on the HUY controller. I mean about the HUY controller. :D

Oh no I've just had an image pop into my head, get out Huggie get out.

Actually, I have a confession. One night after landing in HUY and listening to her voice all the way in. We shut down the aircraft and when getting out and being pretty self concious as I was hoping she may be looking down. I managed to fall down the rear steps of the aircraft.
:rolleyes: :D :D

Regards le loup garou

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: le loup garou ]

fionan
17th Nov 2001, 02:43
Conversation I heard west of London one morning:

ATC: LH are you experiencing any turbulence @ 350?

LH: Affirm we are in and out of the bottoms.

Unidentified Aussie: Fair Dinkum mate, it takes a big man to admit it!!!

It still makes me laugh. ;) ;) ;)

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: westman ]

Fast Erect
17th Nov 2001, 19:58
ABZ 1999 (possibly still there now)....the most attractive female voice I have EVER heard. Soft Celtic tones, and a very nice way of saying 'seven'..
I always did my best to flirt on the radio, as one does. :p

ariel
20th Nov 2001, 17:30
There's a lovely lady on Bournemouth ATC. Always sounds happy, and gives, (willingly), lots of informations to the guys/gals in the air, regarding everything from traffic to weather. Don't know her name though, but if she's reading this - thanks for the service!

WeatherJinx
20th Nov 2001, 21:16
My vote (like a lot of others it seems) goes to Farnborough Radar..as well as being generally cheery and friendly, they are also cool under duress, as witnessed by myself a few months ago when I heard them helping a recently qualified PPL (who had taken friends for a spin), in making a successful forced landing after an engine outage.

Additionally, the London Information guys/gals are surely worthy of a mention for their generally friendly and composed manner, given the massive coverage area and on occasion extremely high workload - this combined with sometimes having to deal with with some of the most appalling R/T I have ever witnessed. Well Done! You are not always appreciated...

WxJx :)

bagpuss lives
21st Nov 2001, 22:41
A certain mentor I know positively bol****s his (or her) "students" for being in any way cheery on the R/T - no "hullo", no "goodbye" and certainly no "good day"!

Apparently this is taught at the college (which I hasten to add I can understand) and "there is no place for being friendly when you're on the job".

How very sad :(

Must remember that next time I'm on the job (oooer missus!!!) :p

Legs11
22nd Nov 2001, 00:38
I believe the lady in question is soon to be heard at Woodford.

As for HUY, I know her too. They are both very nice girls. :p

I'd like to put in a good word for most of the KLM/UK guys n gals that are based in and around Leeds - very friendly people and fun to control. :)

25th Nov 2001, 23:29
KLM/UK again, eh?!?

What IS in your (F100) coffee???

Deeko01
28th Nov 2001, 03:00
Surprised no-one else has noticed the girl at EDI with the really southern accent she really is a cracker!!!!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sex.gif

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Deekster ]

FAAJAA
28th Nov 2001, 09:21
My vote goes to Palm Beach Approach in West Palm Beach...always helpful, always funny..

"Nxxxx with ya out of ten with a request.."
"Ok..Who was the 6th President"
"Madison"
"Very Good! First correct answer today...go ahead with your request..."

The worst controller must be "Mr. Happy" on ZMA 132.25...shame because there is one great gal and two excellent blokes who work that freq.
*edited for spelling*

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: FAAJAA ]

Gonzo
29th Nov 2001, 21:02
Deekster,

How southern do you mean?

Gonzo.

Deeko01
30th Nov 2001, 04:35
She's from Dorset round about that area!!! what a voice!!!! http://www.stopstart.btinternet.co.uk/sm/notworthy.gif

Gonzo
30th Nov 2001, 23:38
Doursayt?

So ere's nuter tratter dryer in ATC?

Wurzels for Christmas No. 1!!!

Gonzo.

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: Gonzo ]

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Dec 2001, 11:56
FAAJAA reminded me of one of my colleagues at LATCC:

Speedbird approaching Biggin: "What's my range to touch down London?"
Lon Ctrl: "Nope, can't answer that; give me one on sport"
Speedbird: "OK, who was the Spurs goalie when they won the double..?"

Luckily my colleague knew!! Incidentally he's the same bloke who asked JCB1 to "Excavate out of FL100".

As for instructors demanding that we forego the usual courtesies - they've been doing that since Pontius was a pilot... and everybody has been ignoring them ever since.

[ 04 December 2001: Message edited by: HEATHROW DIRECTOR ]

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Dec 2001, 15:14
For being friendly under pressure Belfast Aldegrove takes some beating. 5 - 6 paxjets on freq + military helos + the odd fast jet + countless old frieght turbodogs + Bloggs' first solo taking place all at the same time... thats a lot of situational awareness required.

controller friendly
5th Dec 2001, 23:19
Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated. I'll pass this on.
It doesn't take much to be corteous(?),if someone helps me out I always say thanks, but cross me at your peril!!
Though I never get many complaints about my turn ons. :p :)

GlueBall
7th Dec 2001, 21:45
JAX controller: "...Reported smooth at FL190 by a King Air," on a bumpy day after repeated requests for "ride reports."

harbour light
9th Dec 2001, 03:37
Ooh, er, Bono!! She may talk, but she also listens - AND remembers !!!!As I know to my cost !!

[ 08 December 2001: Message edited by: harbour light ]

Snigs
9th Dec 2001, 20:12
I must mention an amazingly sensual voice on the BRS radar. I visited the tower during my IR training and found out that she had the beauty to match. I was mesmorised by her powers!! ;)

Roundouthigh
13th Dec 2001, 13:58
Flying from Biggin, who do a great job in ATC, we often talk to Thames Radar. They are fantastic. Thanks also to Y watch when I was shown round LATCC a couple of weeks ago. A great tour from a great bunch.

Happy Christmas and here's to 2002 being a better year.