PDA

View Full Version : Aussie jump pilots

Anthony2107
28th Dec 2000, 12:51
Could I just ask how much does an average skydiving company pay their jump pilots flying C182, C206 or C210 per hour.
Or do they get paid at all?

A2107

Herc Jerk
28th Dec 2000, 14:04
Not bloody much, mate, if at all. You'll have to keep your day job 'till the logbook gets a little heavier!

Believe the guys in Cairns got paid something (maybe AUS20/hr) but i think the Toogoolawah (can't remember the spelling)guys did it for love.

Don't know about the rest. Let your fingers do the walking and find out first hand. Never know what you'll come up with.

Good Luck!
Jerk

Anthony2107
29th Dec 2000, 00:18
Herc,

Where is blazes is Toogoolawah ? Is that in Qld ? I'll bet it's in the middle of nowhere in woop-woop.

20 bucks an hour.... that much huh ? ( not )

Have you done this sort of thing before?
If you have would an endorsement/check ride
on a C210 cover you for anything below it ?
(C206 or 182)
And yeah, I intend to keep my day job till I have a more sustainable alternative in flying. Can't afford not to nowadays unfortunately, otherwise you'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the tip mate. Good on ya.

A2107

huntsman
30th Dec 2000, 23:08
don't expect much
it does vary from zero upwards
i know of a jump pilot who flies caravans and queenairs and only gets about AUD$25K per annum
look around, ask people and do a search in the dunnunda forum

Toogoolawah is near Iswich, half to one hour from Brisbane.

Anthony2107
31st Dec 2000, 07:29
Herc, huntsman and Stremair ( from wannabes posting)

Guys, thanks for the info.
By the way, Stremair commented previously that skydiving is not a commercial ops and therefore pilots are illegal to get paid.
I'll check my CAO or CAR later but I always thought that this falls under a charter category thats why as huntsman said that the pilots of the queenairs and caravans get paid.
Any thoughts on this guys ?

A2107

Anthony2107
1st Jan 2001, 04:36
Guys, dont' worry about the last question - I've already got the answer.
To clarify anyway - here it is thanks to BIK_116.80 .
Skydiving is classed as a private operation and a pilot with CPL can get paid.
Of course a PPL should not get paid although they are allowed to fly this kind of op.
CAO 20.1.9 (4.1).

A2107