PDA

View Full Version : GST free CPL requirements??

ckaine
31st Mar 2009, 02:52
Hi,

Just have some quick question re the GST free option when completing CPL training.

I have already completed some hours under the RAA, and as I understand it these can't be counted for the 150 hr cpl option, which I believe is required for the gst free option.

However, could these hrs still be used up to the ppl stage to save me completing the full amount of hours required for ppl issue again.

Many thanks,
Chris.

Ixixly
31st Mar 2009, 03:30
The GST free stuff is simply based on a school gaining accreditation based upon their course, as such if you go to a school it will most likely be able to count some of what you've done RAA and the remainder will be able to be accredited towards your course. Double check with the schools first is my suggestion as i'm not sure how RAA counts towards and i'm not exactly an expert on the subject!

flog
31st Mar 2009, 03:47
Yes an approved 150 hours course is the only option for a gst free CPL.

Yes, you can count them towards your PPL in whatever measure the rules allow (no idea what the numbers are).

airman1
31st Mar 2009, 04:06
RAA can certainly be counted towards a PPL or CPL as long as it was conducted in a three axis aeroplane! Not sure on the regs number either.

tobz92_ymen
31st Mar 2009, 07:46
im doing a PPL course, not a signed certified course or anything, just fly when i want, ive just passed GFPT and i dont pay GST and im not doing a CPL course

flog
31st Mar 2009, 09:55
tobz92_ymen,

You should be. Watch out if the ATO audit you or your parents, there'll be a bill to pay.

Kickatinalong
31st Mar 2009, 10:04
tobz92_ymen.
Flog is correct , you are being sold a lemon watch out the bill will come . Don't say you were not warned, it will happen.:ugh::ugh::ugh:
Kickatinalong

YPJT
31st Mar 2009, 10:16
There are one or two operators around who will advise the unweary to sign up for CPL training, with no intention of completing the course, just doing a PPL and not paying GST along the way.

There are a few ATO inspectors who are pilots and get to hear ALL the goss around the traps about who is up to what, so be careful. The ATO have long tentacles and an even longer memory.

shorty81
19th Apr 2009, 13:14
If you want your RAA hours to count you can complete the 200Hr CPL course but its not GST free. The details are on the ATO website at GSTD 2000/11 - Goods and Services Tax : is the supply of commercial pilot training GST -free as an education course under section 38 -85 of the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax Act ) 1999 (the GST Act )? (As at 15 November 2000) (http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=GSD/GSTD200011/NAT/ATO/00001)

I hope this helps

Mitchell