PDA

View Full Version : Setting up and airline

DarrenMoore
28th Dec 2000, 02:18
For my A level Business Studies holiday assignment I have been set the task of explaining the setting up of and growth of an airline.
Well I know the basics of small business management and setting up but how would one go about setting up and managing an airline?

I need help with regards to regulations, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
D.M.

------------------
Success=Work=Success!

DarrenMoore
28th Dec 2000, 02:24
Oops, the subject title should read "Setting up and managing an airline".

D.M.

swashplate
28th Dec 2000, 16:29
Stelios was on 'The Air Show'(BBC2) last summer. Said the best advice was to 'get adopted by a rich father!!'.
Seriousley, though, it was not a bad show. They had a leasing guy going on about how you needed a pile of cash to set up with. The bearded one and Sir Micheal Bishop (BM)were also on - said he'd avoided publicity because the 'press giveth and the press taketh away'.
Maybe someone has a tape?

The Guvnor
28th Dec 2000, 21:58
Swashplate - The 'leasing guy' was Stephen Vella of ALM. A very smart cookie! :) He's right though - you do need huge piles of cash! As the Bearded One once said in reply to the question how do you become a millionaire - "be a billionaire and start an airline!" :) :)

Hope the information I gave you was useful, Darren - don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more questions.

Max Autobrake
28th Dec 2000, 22:29
Hey Guv, does this mean you didn't have huge piles of cash! ;)

dusk2dawn
29th Dec 2000, 11:00
You could try the book Airline Route Planning by John Grover, BSP Professional Books, 1990.
Beeing rather technical it does a good job of telling non-operational types about why you can't carry all the payload promised by the manufacturer. It also has a couple of comments on marketing and economics.