PDA

View Full Version : Roly Beamont's MiniCab

rauxaman
30th Mar 2009, 19:36
Hello-

I am involved in getting GAWEP flying again on a regular basis. I believe GEP was built at BAC Warton (possibly by the apprentices) and regularly flown by Roly Beamont, here is a photograph of a plaque in the cockpit:
http://www.rauxa.co.uk/images/plaqueGAWEP.jpg
I was wondering whether any of you guys have any recollections or documents relating to GEP and Roly Beamont for inclusion on a website about this terrific little aeroplane:
http://www.rauxa.co.uk/images/minicabGAWEP2.jpg
Thank you in advance,
R
PS... shares are available :)

Mike Echo
31st Mar 2009, 08:00
Wow, far distant memories.
I remember the aircraft very well from the late 60's/early 70's as it occasionally landed at Salmesbury where I was learning to fly Gliders (Blackpool and Fylde Gliding Club as it was then). I do remember it once coming into Salmesbury with Rolly Beamont and Stan Jackson. Light aircraft were not normally allowed in but, as Mr Beamont was the Flight Director, I don't suppose anybody was going to argue with him. A couple of our instructors were given short flights by Stan. I'd been told it was Stan Jackson who built it but it could have been apprentices.
I regret I have no details or photographs that I can recall, just failing memories. It is just possible that some of the "Older" Members of the Bowland Forest Gliding Club may remember it or have Photo's?
Good luck

rauxaman
31st Mar 2009, 08:19
Hi Mike-

I believe Stan Jackson was the Works Superintendant at Preston which would explain the apprentices maybe being involved. A guy I used to work with ran the joinery trade classes at the FE College and had the finest hand made doors in his house :)

There are so many good final touches to this aircraft, I also believe the build time was considered excessive by most home-builders so maybe one had to be in the business to get one completed.

Thanks for the reply,
R

Mr_Grubby
31st Mar 2009, 09:47
In the book ‘Flying to the Limit’ by Mr Beamont ( Publisher PSL, ISBN 1 85260 553 5 ) there are a few pages about test flying G-AWEP.

Very interesting.

Clint.

rauxaman
31st Mar 2009, 10:08
Now on my Amazon Wish List :ok:

Mbeamont
31st Jan 2011, 23:42
I have fond memories of this plane. Not least as Roly Beamont was my grandfather and I have a number of fond memories regards flights that he took me on during the mid 70's flying from Salmesbury and out towards Blackpool round the tower and back - I always remember the round the tower bit being upside down, but that could of been my age. I would love to hear how you get on with the renovation. Good luck

Mark Beamont

chevvron
2nd Feb 2011, 16:10
I read an autobiographical book once where Roly saw 'EP in a hangar (possibly Samlesbury) and asked what it was doing there.(Being Flight Ops Director, he should have been informed)
'Awaiting test flight' was the reply 'er would you like to do it?'
'I thought you'd never ask' said Roly!!

POBJOY
2nd Feb 2011, 23:53
I think it won the Best Home Built at Sywell one year (decades ago), but was considered by many to really have been a professional factory job.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
4th Feb 2011, 19:56
Can't remember if it lived at Barton at one stage, but I certainly saw it there a lot in the 80s. Will check out my albums for any pics.

deagles
5th Feb 2011, 09:00
i was on the Warton test Pilot team when Bee used to commute from Samlesbury to Warton in the minicab. In the early Tornado days we ran a frequent service to Munich and/or Turin with the HS125. Often when we called up for taxi at around 0730 we would be told bt ATC to "Hold position" and this would be because Bee was on finals and was radio-less so he couldn't be disuaded from continuing. One day i was driving the 125 with Ray Woollett, Chief Nav at the time, and when we got the "Hold Position " call i responded with "I assume it's Golf Oscar Delta on finals?". When we got back that evening we found that Bee had finally had radio fitted to the minic:ooh:ab!

Mjhodgso
4th Mar 2013, 20:34
I came across the old threads posted in the aviation history and nostalgia chat room about my uncle Stan's Home made aeroplane and it brought back fond memories of him and his achievement. I am not sure if this aircraft is still in good working order and/or indeed anyone out there still remembers it flying! Uncle Stan built the plane in his home garage and it took him several years to complete. Me and my twin sister were about 13 at the time it was officially made airborne and I remember to this day attending the celebrations to mark this launch. Roland Beamont was the pilot as I recall (I also think he tested the TSR2) and my uncle was a very proud man indeed.

In fact I have flown my Uncle's plane well briefly when he took us up in his plane which was based at Salmesbury at the time. My sister and I were doing a project for our geography O level and we took some ariel photographs with a boxed brownie camera to show the countryside around Longridge where we went to School.

Sadly Uncle Stan passed away many years ago now but he will always be remembered for his achievements especially the plane.

Thank you for enabling me to share this story with you and best wishes

Julie