PDA

View Full Version : Pacemaker

Lister Noble
30th Mar 2009, 12:20
I didn't feel too well last week,feeling dizzy and short of breath.
I saw the doc on Thursday morning and was taken by ambulance immediately to Norwich hospital.
Total heart block,pulse around 40bpm
I had a pacemaker emergency installed on Friday and came home next day.
All quite a shock,I feel OK,have just been to doctor to make sure I'm healing well,which I am.
I have walked around the garden and done some light tasks,but avoided using my left arm too much so not to pull the stitches.
The NHS service was absolutely brilliant from GP to Hospital to home!!!!:D:D:ok:

I've told the CAA and lost my JAR PPL pilots licence for 3 months (and told DVLA so can't drive for a week),but I should be OK long term.
I hope to get my JAR PPL licence re-issued at a lower classification NPPL in a few weeks when I am totally recovered.

Could be a lot worse!

I think to go down the NPPL route as JAR PPL is going to involve expensive tests on a regular basis.
I had to have an echo cardiogram,stess test and 24 ECG monitor to get my PPL because of partial heart block and it cost me over £600.

Question is do I wait until six weeks so that I can ask for an HGV type approval or can I do it next week,or what?

Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Lister

QDMQDMQDM
3rd Apr 2009, 19:45
See DVLA at a glance guide:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/medical/aagv1.pdf

Pacemaker implant disqualifies HGV for 6 weeks, as you said. If your GP is going to sign an NPPL waiver I guess you'll have to wait for 6 weeks from the date of implant.

Lister Noble
4th Apr 2009, 09:09
QD,
Thanks, that is what I thought.
I have a hospital check up in 4 weeks time so will do it after that.
My GP has already said he will help me get my licence back,so it all looks good ,and friends will take me flying if I feel the need meantime.
I'm walking around an hour a day and spent and hour on the ride-on yesterday,so reckon I'm healing well.:D
Lister
PS- Interesting that I will not be able to use a chainsaw as the spark plug current is near the handle and can cause problems!