PDA

View Full Version : Line Checks

SectorSafe
11th Nov 2000, 00:37
What exactly are trainers looking for in line checks ? Since my initial I have found that none of the other line checks are consistent !!! There is so much variations of line checks in my company - Some become a techincal grilling while others say that if you passed the ARB then you know enough !!!What exactly are trainers looking for in a line check nowadays ???? And what should the trainees expect ???

411A
11th Nov 2000, 06:47
For myself only: Technical questions regarding the aircraft systems are out, these are covered (or should be) during recurrent training. The check pilot should observe regular line operations, T/O data calculation, pre-departure briefing, standard operating procedures and ATC communications. It is my firm belief that it should be NO different than a regular flight, only that the check pilot is sitting in the observers seat. In addition, I do NOT believe that the Captain should concern himself (or herself) all that much with the cabin crew. A brief greeting, flight details and a general...."let me know if I can be of assistance" should do. Have noticed that some Captains try to micro-manage the cabin. Believe it or not, the company has appointed a cabin chief for that purpose. Leave him/her ALONE to do their job. All in all, a line check should be a rather pleasant experience, at least from my perspective.
Have been doing them for 20 years. Hope this helps.

Check-in
12th Nov 2000, 14:30
I agree pretty much with 411A. An initial command check-to-line needs to involve a certain amount of questions, and certainly requires a demo of a couple of different types of instrument approach, as it is a hoop that one should be able to jump thru. Bit like the ATPL exams. However, once established, the ongoing line checks are, or at least should be, much as 411A says - a check that company procedures and good commercial practices are being followed.
I saw a document prepared in Australia by a CASA inspector which ran to about 30 pages on what a line check should be. It was a grilling to end all grillings. Trouble with this approach is you need to sign on three hours before takeoff to answer all the questions, and by the time you get to the aeroplane you would have a very uptight crew on your hands. Continuing the grilling in the air would be downright dangerous.
If you feel that a check captain in the jump seat is distracting you with too many questions or other demands, tell him/her to butt out until AFTER the day's flying. At least that way the flight management hopefully won't be too compromised. To a certain extent you can pre-empt too much b.s. before departure by signing on at your normal time; that way he would incur a delay if he distracted you with other demands.
That does not mean that you should not prepare yourself by reviewing limitations and procedures etc. A good checkie can find a fake anyway, so if you are substandard watch out!

Slasher
12th Nov 2000, 18:05
Yeh Im the same as 411A except that Ill highlight any weakness I pick up in the crews system knowledge at post-flight debrief. In past years Ive had to haul off a couple of blokes to the classroom for knowledge reinforcement of certain systems.
When inflight-workload permits Ill usualy just ask a straightforward Limitation or Abnormal Procedure question to each of the crew.

fireflybob
15th Nov 2000, 21:25
Have to agree with 411A - it's just an observation of normal line operation and the check captain should not "interfere" with the operation.
Remember that you cannot complain about the result of a check but you can complain about the conduct and if you are being asked all sorts of "technical" questions during the flight then you could (quite legitimately) complain that this was distracting you from the task!!
The debrief is surely the time to highlight any areas which come to light as a result of the observed flight and perhaps, if necessary, probe to see whether there are any areas which require some education etc.
However, my experience of line checks is that the vast majority do a fine job and it's usually pretty obvious to all when there has been a cock-up! Those that fly the line in the correct manner have no need to worry.

------------------