PDA

View Full Version : Western digital 1tb

jxc
29th Mar 2009, 20:49
Help

I am trying to backup my DVD's to a wd 1tb external storage using clone dvd most of the time it is ok but if the movie is more than 4gb it says file to big to transfer to storage unit

Any ideas ?

Cheers

frostbite
29th Mar 2009, 21:34
Can you not simply copy the file using Explorer?

Tinstaafl
29th Mar 2009, 22:12
My bet is that that the 1Tb drive is formatted with a file system that is limited to a max. 4Gb for any single file.

hurn
29th Mar 2009, 22:20
Sounds like FAT32, which has a 4GB file limit.
I wouldn't recommend using it as its prone to corruption.

If you're using Windows, then formatting with NTFS is a much better solution and not hampered with a 4GB file limit.

Keygrip
29th Mar 2009, 22:34
Well, that's a novel twist.

I thought people usually burned "must not lose" data from hard drive to DVD.

jxc
30th Mar 2009, 17:40
Thanks guys for your help it was spot on

Keygrip

Just freeing up some space in the lounge

candypie
26th May 2009, 23:48
Hi,

could I just ask, if I format the hard drive to NTFS does this have any implications or can I carry on using it as I would previously have been able to? I know anything on it will be deleted which is ok but I wanted to know if I can still use it for storing videos from my video camera (which will be burned to dvd as well) and photos from my digital camera?

any advice wouls be appreciated!

Thanks.

Jofm5
27th May 2009, 01:20
Candypie:

could I just ask, if I format the hard drive to NTFS does this have any implications or can I carry on using it as I would previously have been able to? I know anything on it will be deleted which is ok but I wanted to know if I can still use it for storing videos from my video camera (which will be burned to dvd as well) and photos from my digital camera?

You dont have to reformat an existing drive you can convert it using the convert command: -

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume will be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert will be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory
that will be the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies that the security settings on the converted
files and directories allow access by all users.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All open handles to the volume will not be valid.

For example if the drive you wish to convert from FAT32 to NTFS was your F: drive the command you would need would be

convert F: /FS:NTFS

These commands you need to run from a command prompt (CMD) often referred to as a DOS prompt.

It will take a little time and make sure your not going to be interrupted whilse doing so (running a laptop on a battery whilst doing this is not advised).

Implications wise... there are a few things to consider. It is harder to un-delete things on NTFS especially when security settings are high. Also you will have security applied on the folders - so if you create a folder under account A then account B may not be able to access it unless either account A grants access or account B is an administrator account.

Generally you will not find much difference in your day to day use.