PDA

View Full Version : Training in Greece

FLT86
29th Mar 2009, 20:17
Hi all,

I'm graduating in Maintenance Aeronautics in University and since many years, I want to start my ATPL.
Since my childhood, I want to be a Pilot and I'm trying to do everything in order to realize my dream.

To fly, to pilot, to manage the aircraft and human and so on are very exiting !
It is my passion.

I did a plan.
If I can find a job after the ATPL as a Pilot, it is my dream and everything is nice.
But I can't find anything, I can work in Maintenance Department for a Company.
Like this, while I am looking for a Pilot job, I can get a wages to live and to pay back my loan. I have some experiences in Maintenance and in engineering department in two airlines (American and French).
Indeed, I planned to loan 30 max 35k euros. Not more. That's why, I am working since two years, every week-end in order to participate in the price of the training.

I am ready to go everywhere at the beginning, China, Africa or somewhere else and in every kind of aircraft. The most important is to fly and when you start, it is seldom that you have a lot of choice between airlines. So I take the first opportunity that I'd have. I just want to fly.

I was looking everywhere to find a good FTO.
France, Italy, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, UK, Germany, South Africa, Romania, Australia, USA, Latvia, Switzerland, Malta and so on to find a good training with a good price.
But in each school, something was not good. Or not recognized by French CAA, or not good reputation, or not serious training, or life cost too expensive.
Anyway, you understood that in each school that I was looking for, something was not good.
I know that I can't find a perfect FTO but I want to find a good money value and good training.

I am against to pay for a TR, especially a "dry" TR. Because it is a risk. Well, if you have money, it is up to the person, but I don't want.
If somebody will hire me but need that I will pay my TR, then yes...or even to take money in my wages, ok...but I am against to pay for my TR without any secure opportunities of work. (that somebody will say me for sure that they will hire me).

Well, I have found a FTO in Greece called Egnatia Aviation. (I was reading everything about this FTO in this forum).
No school is not perfect, every body has default.
But for the price that they propose (56k with accomodation) and low cost of life in Greece it is very interresting.
Besides it, I was looking for the quality of the training and it seems like serious and good.
I asked many questions to the Director (very honest), to ex students and to current students.
Students told me that it is a good money value with a serious and quality training.
Moreover, they told me what it is good there and what it is bad.
One of the negative points, it's the ground school. They don't have enough instructors but they are working on it.
Besides it, they said me it is very good.
All the training is in English and with Bristol books.
The training is 13 months long. But students are doing between 12 and 14-15 months. Not more. If they take more, it's because they work or they take holidays.
You have to add the ELP test (english) and the MCC so it will not exceed 60k-62k with accomodation and life cost.

In Europe, it is impossible to find it...because in Greece, for professional training, you don't pay any taxes.

About ex students, some students were hired by EasyJet, Ryanair, Air Arabia, Atlantic, LOT etc.
I am not stupid, every school try to sell you their product but I am trying to find the best good money value with a good training.

A lot of my friends (Cpt and F/O) advised me to go there after that I showed them. (a lot of European schools).

Now, I'd like to know your opinion about this school and training in Greece.

- What do you think about this FTO ?

- Even with this crisis (anyway, it will finish !!!), do you think tha it is good to do the training now (I'll be done in 1 years and a half, max 2) and to pay for the training ?

- According to you, do you think that it is "OK" to take 35k euros for loan ? Is it "easy" when you work to pay back this loan during 8-9 years old and giving back 350-400 euros ?

- Is it better to do only the ATPL theory and then to see how it is the situation in the World before to spend money for the CPL-IR and MCC ?

- All others informations that you think I should know.

Thank you very much.

FLT86.

FLT86
1st Jul 2010, 22:32
Hello,

Thank you very much.

I've done my training in USA so for the last part, I'll see where to do it.

Thank you very much for your help.

Good Luck.

AfricanStormrider
12th Apr 2012, 10:17
Hi guys

Any current views on the comparison between Jetstream and Egnatia - both look great but I'd like to know the pro's and con's for both (if anyone has any views, that is). I'm hoping to do my ATPL this year.

SVoa
12th Apr 2012, 23:46
Answer is very simple, Jetsream focus ALOT more on their TRTO and not the FTO. Egnatia are only and FTO and a very good one actually (first hand experience).
Without a second thought, Egnatia is the answer.. simply like comparring a Rolce Royce with a Datsun :E

SkewedFlaps
13th Apr 2012, 04:17
just wondering ---

would any of these flying schools privately hire their aircraft?

how does it work in greece to hire an aircraft with a foreign license??

AfricanStormrider
15th Apr 2012, 17:05
Thanks for the advice :ok: Were you a student there?