PDA

View Full Version : JAA in the USA

Pilotbobby
29th Mar 2009, 16:09
Hello everyone looking for some advice. I'm a US citizen with a valid EU passport and I would like to train to be able to fly the commercial jets in the shortest amount of time. Typically in the US it's very difficult to be hired by a main-line carrier, and so I am looking into the JAA option to be able to fly in Europe. However, I would like to do my studies in the US and I've found a few schools such as OFT, Naples, EFT, etc. which had had mainly negative reviews. I have yet to find a JAA approved flight school in the USA that has been given good overall ratings. Does anybody know of any? Since I have the option of either training for a FAA or a JAA, should I opt out on the JAA route in order to secure a job in Europe more easily? Or are the chances of that just as minimal as securing a good flying job in the US? Thanks for any input.

sebastian_454
29th Mar 2009, 16:28
What country are you from?

Have you looked into the option of cadet sponsorship?

Right now, I do not think much recruitment is going on.

If you train in USA at the FAA level, then you must convert to JAA spec.

This is 14 exams (roughly months of studying)

Then JAA CPL ride, it may be done in States / medical needs to be done in Europe

IR conversion, minimum of 15 hrs flying, must be done in Europe as well.

If you really want to get hired by a carrier back in Europe then also look into:

Multi-Crew Coordination Course (MCC)

Most likely you have to dish out $ for a type rating or sign a bond with company.

Search pprune. It has a lot of good stuff!

Posters, feel free to correct my reply if it is not accurate

Good luck:ok:

I am about to be done flight training and a college degree course. I have looked into JAA conversion, but I dont think I will do it, at lease not for now.

busykill
29th Mar 2009, 16:56
Check out ptc florida, but they are expensive. They are actually an irish school but they seem to have split into two companies with one based at fit aviation in melbourne(they moved from flight safety last year). I'm doing my atpls there now, they do iaa atpls and an iaa multi engine cpl

INNflight
29th Mar 2009, 19:53
Easiest (and probably least expensive) way for you would be to train in the US, getting all-FAA licenses, and then going to the UK, doing the 14 ATPL exams and converting to a JAR license....!

civil aviation
30th Mar 2009, 23:51
I haven't been for some time but Ormond Beach Aviation (flyoba.com) is the original and still the cheapest for JAA in USA.
Best of luck !