PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mobile 6.1 Daylight Saving Time Problem

SyllogismCheck
29th Mar 2009, 11:54
I noticed this morning that my Windows Mobile phone hadn't adjusted its clock to BST overnight. Must be a setting I've not ticked the box for, I thought. After lots of looking, there was no 'Automatically adjust clock for DST' type box to be found. I Googled and found a patch on Microsoft's mobile pages to correct DST issues. Installed it, followed the instructions, etc., etc., still no joy. OK, I'll read the info on the patch then. It covers DST changes for numerous places, but not for the UK, explaining why it had no effect.

So, whilst the oldest and most basic phone I have kicking around in the bottom of a box somewhere can probably correct itself for DST changes, one that's supposed to be a bit clever seems unable to do so. Even after lots of Googling, which indicates that DST changes can cause issues with synching etc, I'm no closer to finding a solution simply to make the clock automatically adjust and not leave me an hour adrift due to inevitably forgetting to correct it myself.

Anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? It's such a stupidly simple thing, I'm expecting to feel quite dim when told how easily it's done.

green granite
29th Mar 2009, 12:14
there are some 6.1 phone specific updates here: Smartphone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/tags/update)

alternatively have you tried your phone manufacturers web site for a download?

SyllogismCheck
29th Mar 2009, 12:27
Thanks for the link gg. Unfortunately, the update linked from there is the one I've already tried that gives no UK solution.

I've not managed to find anything on HTC's site re this either. I suspect since WM maintains the clock it's more likely an OS fix I need as opposed to a firmware fix.

Thanks anyway, any and all suggestions welcome. :ok:

bnt
29th Mar 2009, 17:30
That is weird. My HTC S620 is still on WM6.0, and changed at the right time. (Ireland doesn't have their own system, it just follows BST.)

I don't think that lack of an update is the problem here, since the rules for BST haven't changed in years. The USA changed their rules last year, bringing summer time forward two weeks, which is why Microsoft released an update.

SyllogismCheck
29th Mar 2009, 19:48
Is there an option to turn automatic adjustment for DST on or off on your device, bnt? I'm almost convinced I'm being really dumb and simply haven't found the correct box to tick to make it happen. If you do have this option, if you could let me now where it is that'd be handy - assuming 6.0 and 6.1 have anything like the same settings paths that is.

I simply can't find a box to tick for DST nor does there seem to be an option to tick to make the handset update its clock from the mobile network which would do the job just as well.

It's got to be in there somewhere.... surely! :confused:

bnt
29th Mar 2009, 23:02
Is there an option to turn automatic adjustment for DST on or off on your device, bnt?
I haven't been able to find one, though there is a setting for "automatic time / time zone" under Settings / Clock, which was disabled when I first saw it.

Bushfiva
30th Mar 2009, 00:31
Do you synchronize with Outlook? My understanding is that 6.1 gets the DST table from Outlook. Therefore, both the OS and Outlook need to be correct. You say you've been through the Microsoft site, so you've probably already seen this: Download details: Microsoft Office Outlook Tool: Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e343a233-b9c8-4652-9dd8-ae0f1af62568&DisplayLang=en#Overview) and Updates for Daylight Saving Time | Smartphone and PDA | Windows Mobile (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/microsoft/daylight-savings-update.mspx)

It seems you only patch the phone directly if you don't synchronize with a desktop: otherwise, the next synch undoes the patch if Outlook itself is the problem.

SyllogismCheck
30th Mar 2009, 17:30
Thanks, bnt. I don't have the 'automatic' setting, just check boxes for 'home' and 'visiting' time zones.

Bushfiva, I haven't synchronised the device as yet, and will only do so infrequently.
You say you think the device's OS gets is DST table from Outlook. Is that to say it learns the DST info, as set on my PC's OS due to its regional settings, during synch? If that's what you mean, once I synch the device with the PC the first time, the device should then learn and remember when to adjust for UK DST changes. Or have I oversimplified that?

Bushfiva
31st Mar 2009, 02:56
That was my understanding, but now I've changed my mind :}

The second link I provided states that the DST fix has to be applied to both the computer and the mobile, which suggests the DST table isn't synchronized.

skinnny
31st Mar 2009, 19:23
@SyllogismCheck

Sorry no solution, but my girlfriend is having the same problem on her MWg Zinc II running WM6.1, whereas my Samsung Omnia (also running WM6.1) has automatically updated it's clock perfectly.

I hope someone can shed some light on it.