PDA

View Full Version : Canadian looking for the African adventure

ImmortalCookie
29th Mar 2009, 05:27
Hi,
As i know with this very tight knit industry, word of mouth is usually the best way of going at things. And well.. since im quite far from any African country i was wondering if any of you could help.

I have been working in the aviation industry in Canada for 3 years + and have only 330 hours to show all the hard work i have done. Africa has always been a very appealing place for me to go visit/live/ and/or work and i thought what better time to check it out.

I was wondering what countries would be best recommended to try starting my aviation career in and what the industry in Africa is currently like?
Is there much movement or is it at a dead stop just like here in Canada for the low time pilot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What i am mainly looking for are the names of some regional carriers and/or safaris that WOULD accept minimum time pilots to fly for them.

Cheers,
-Fred :ok:

SAT_BOSS
29th Mar 2009, 08:22
Hi sorry to sound disapointing but:::

Low timers here in Africa has the esame hassles as anywhere else. I fyou have a large portion of your 300 odd hourse on C206 or C210's then a very short "maybe" exsits that someone in the Delta might look at you. But remember that the pilots are many, the jobs are few and the competition very tough. In the Delta you might be lucky but its 99% of "right place" right time and if you are sitting at Rileys and someone shouts 206 driver and you happen to be the only one standing around (which will be as rare as hens teeth) you might be lucky ....

Having said that nothing is impossible but from here to even try is impossible, you have to come over with say 3 months worth of living expenses and wait it out say a month before the season starts in the Delta ....

As for the bigger operators that fly turbines like Solenta / NAC / NL etc; one word forget it with those hours as they will hire guys like you as a Gofer and will hire from "within".

Then the next question in the Delta is "who to go to" well I wont even give you all the names as Maun looks look FALA in high season so better to be here and go with your Colgate Smile and eager beaver look to each and everyone and "hang out" till someone cries "help" Sorry cant be more helpful but that is the industry as it is .....

Gooneybird
29th Mar 2009, 12:45
Have to agree with Sat_Boss here. The industry is down worldwide so wait it out, we've all been there and it has it's highs and lows.

As to countries to try, the http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/314212-need-entry-level-advice.html thread. it's dated though and just a starting point.

What about doing an instructor rating and staying in Canada and building hours?

B Sousa
29th Mar 2009, 12:55
IC
There is a saying "Africa is not for Sissies". Add that to the fact you have low time and there is a reason for my next suggestion. No inference to you on that, but there are many other issues in Africa on top of the flying that play in the game. Health and Security are the biggest, specially when you are new to the Dark Continent.
A suggestion would be to get your float rating and hang out in the Great White North while you continue to build time. Maybe dropping Meat Missles if jobs are scarce. Get as many ratings as you can afford while doing so. As many others, giving instruction allows you the opportunity to starve a bit slower.
And remember putting a face to a resume helps. If your insistant and before you sell your worldly belongings to head out and conquor the unknown , consider taking a few weeks vacation down that way. Many here will give you some guidance as to companies to visit. There is another great African Aviation website I will send you via PM if you choose. It is not really popular with the Mods here so I cannot post it for all to see..

Good Luck.

DHC6to8
1st Apr 2009, 12:33
Well, I did the Africa tour and enjoyed every minute of it! I ran into guys who just said :mad: it and showed up in either Botswana, Tanzania or Zim (back when you could)... they all started out hauling ass and trash on C-208's.... If you like hard liquor, no rules, and lots of chocolate... then go at 'er... If I would have married everyone who asked me I would have a harem now... no where else did I ever see so many trying to 'get out'... mostly it was the house maid in her 50's who would bring the granddaughters around to act as eye candy... 'looking for the better life'.. who can blame them... but then it begs the question... what the hell was I doing there then?? I met some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to be introduced to on that continent... and at the same time some of the most horrific situations I'll ever care to remember.... there was the day that I got pulled over by the army in one particular country and thank goodness my driver and I were both working for the same team that the army was.... as we drove away I saw the group that had been arrested earlier standing and sitting in the ditch ... I still wonder to this day what the hell happened to them... it all went down because somebody took a shot the then in power president....
becareful if you go and listen up mate... some of the veterans there will spell it out to you quite well.... and have fun... Africa is a beautiful continent...and so are the majority of her people...
6to8

Tapejara
22nd Apr 2009, 09:49
Namibia is one of the countries where you can have an excellent start in your aviation career with low hours. Contact me at [email protected]. I will gladly assist you with some info.

newjersey111
21st May 2009, 14:02
hi i am also looking for an opportunity in Africa i only have 720tt comercial.mutil
and that is tapejara@ y or g mail.com
thanks