PDA

View Full Version : Personal Training

Ishmael
28th Mar 2009, 19:11
Hi everyone.

I am currently on year 2 of 3 of and air transport management and operations honours degree but am thinking of a slight career path change into aircraft maintenance.

Would anyone be able to advise me on the possibility of learning the modules and taking the exams towards the license myself whilst finishing the last year of my degree? And also possibly getting a job to gain some experience during the summer months? Or would I be better to finish my degree and then take an apprenticeship?

Thanks
Ishmael

Miles Gustaph
29th Mar 2009, 04:01
Your degree won't qualify you from any exemptions from AMEL examinations.

As for sitting the exams, if you think you can do your final year and study for a license then you should apply your exceptional ability and stay another year and do a Masters.

Your location says Belfast, which means UK CAA rules; which currently mean you wouldn’t even be able to sit the exam as you lack four and a half years experience on aircraft, which is a pre-requisite to sit exams unless you have gone down the apprentice route, or ab initio course route.

The CAA web-site will give you all you need to know.

Or you could try for a career in ground ops like the question that you've asked on another thread. I would suggest that taking up aircraft maintenance because your not sure what to do with yourself would be a mistake.

Miles