PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Music

timmyneedham
28th Mar 2009, 15:24
Ladies and Gentlemen

I come to the court of Pprune to seek advice...

Can someone explain how you play music from your computer to speakers in your house via wi-fi without buying a ready made solution like Sonos? I don't want to use RF speakers either.

I have a Macbook running I-tunes and a wireless router (BT). What speakers and software do I need?

All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to reply.

TN

bnt
28th Mar 2009, 19:47
I don't know the name Sonos, but a quick look at the website gives me the impression that their system is proprietary, so you have to use their transmitter and receiver. I can see why you wouldn't go for that.

I know some companies do WiFi receivers that talk to your existing computer e.g. Logitech does the Squeezebox (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/4707&cl=gb,en). I took a quick look at the manual, and there does appear to be iTunes support, but be warned that it can not play DRM-protected files you bought from the iTunes Music Store. (This is what you get if you buy in to Apple's DRM system: I have no sympathy whatsoever.)

edit: there are a lot of them out there e.g. see the Expansys Media Streamer (http://www.expansys.com/sound+vision/home-audio/media-streamers) category. Some do appear to be Apple-licensed to play protected tracks e.g. the Roku products.

BEagle
28th Mar 2009, 19:59
I don't know how things work with the BetaMac system, but with a PC you would need to have a suitable receiver system which connects to your domestic WLAN and provides amplification etc for the speakers.

I recently bought the Philips MCi500H which combines CD, VHF-FM, a hard disk, a USB port and Internet radio - as well as an 'aux' input for another source (e.g. your TV). It connects to the Internet via my WLAN; although with Windows Media Player 11 I could 'stream' music files from my PC to the system, I don't actually bother as I prefer the vast range of Internet radio available.

You can 'rip' from CD to hard disk, record from VHF-FM or 'aux' to hard disk and then copy appropriate files to a USB stick.

You cannot 'burn' to CD - but most PCs will allow you to burn CDs with files imported from a USB stick.

The only thing which isn't possible is direct recording from Internet radio to hard disk. Although if you connect a PC to the 'aux' input, you can do it that way.

The Destruction Manual only refers to PCs, so I have no idea whether the Philips MCi500H is compatible with BetaMac, sorry.

Capt Chambo
28th Mar 2009, 21:16
1) Buy an Apple Airport Express, and set it up, you only need to do this once and it only takes a couple of minutes.
2) Plug in your airport express and connect your amp. or speakers to it.
3) Turn on your airport on your MacBook and connect to the Airport Express network.
4) Launch iTunes. On the lower tool bar you should see an option to play your music either via computer speakers or via the network that you set up in stage 1, select the option to play via your network.
5) Play and enjoy!

Parapunter
28th Mar 2009, 22:59
That airport express does look like a saucy bit of kit. Iphone is a control option too. Nice. But Apple schtick only.

My brother has a sonos setup & that is just great, a really good, intuitive, well sorted thing, but music only.

At risk of sounding like a record with a scratch, there is of course media centre & extenders, either an xbox, or either a Linksys Dma21 or 2200 or a Dlink DS750M. Of course both require a screen & a remote, but will stream your album collection anywhere they're hooked up.

Otoh, this could be worth a 2nd look. Linksys announces Wireless Home Audio System, another wireless audio toy for rich people (http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/07/linksys-announces-wireless-home-audio-system-another-wireless-audio-toy-for-rich-people/)

Essentially, to receive wireless audio, you have to have a transmission point, a network & a receiver. It all comes down to the colour of your wallet & what you would like it look like.

call100
29th Mar 2009, 03:40
Ibe warned that it can not play DRM-protected files you bought from the iTunes Music Store. (This is what you get if you buy in to Apple's DRM system: I have no sympathy whatsoever.)
Apple have dropped DRM.....Itunes etc are DRM free now.:ok:

bnt
29th Mar 2009, 09:27
Apple have dropped DRM.....Itunes etc are DRM free now.:ok:
New tracks are DRM-free, but have they unlocked all the tracks that people bought over the years? No (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/06itunes.html). You can "upgrade" all your tracks to DRM-free versions at $0.30 a track (USA price). Cha-ching! :ok:

Bushfiva
29th Mar 2009, 13:44
I use a Bluetooth Class 1 device. The speakers I have are good enough for my needs, but they're not hi-fi. I paid about $17 for the USB adapter. Speakers were about $70. Bluetooth doesn't do broadcast, as far as I know, so you'd be sending to one set of speakers.

timmyneedham
1st Apr 2009, 09:18
Thanks as always for your suggestions everyone. Looks like squeezebox might be the one for me.

Cheers

TN