PDA

View Full Version : BA Catering Schedules

fred737
28th Mar 2009, 08:46
Do they still exist?

Reason I ask is that standard of cabin service varies immensley on BA short haul. LH generally very standard.

As an example LCA - LHR is a comparitivelly long sector for BA SH. Meal service is a hot meal (Dinner) as STD is 1650L and arrival 1945L.

You would have thought that cabin service would have been Drinks Round / Meal Service / coffee. Too frequently crews seem to rush to get out the meal, ommitting the drinks round - why?

Some crews are very good. To make sure you have wine with the meal they offer you a choice of wine at the same time as the pre dinner drink. Others offer wine with the meal service. Others wine a long way behind the meal.

SH crews seem to have the mind set that goes with an hours sector - rush to get it out. But that mind set is not required on a 5 hour sector. Although it does help them do the minimum service and then the lucrative Duty Free Service and then sit down.

BA cabin service needs to be standardised. How come if sitting in Club World one is offered a drink (Champagne/OJ/Water) as soon as one has sat down but in Club Europe one is offered nothing till one is airborne.

Comment over. Stand by for incoming

Currock Base
28th Mar 2009, 10:36
Fred - Yes BA do have both catering schedules and service standards. The caterers will load the food and drink in accordance with the catering schedule.

In general the crew will serve in line with the service standards. However there can be issues with inconsistency, both forgetting its a longer flight and also sometimes offering more than standard. In all walks of life, experienced people tend to do things from memory rather than looking up the standard which may have changed.

Club World and Club Europe are different products.

firstchoice7e7
28th Mar 2009, 18:54
On the subject, can i ask a question to any BA Eurofleet CC on the board re drinks.

BA flight GLA-LHR in september. Bought the ticket on the day of travel for aprox £150. Drinks service i asked for a gin and tonic only. When the crew passed again i politely asked if i could have another tonic as the gin was a bit strong. 15 minutes later the cabin crew passed by and advides in a rather smug tone ''oh dear sir, i forgot about your tonic'' and then walked off !!! extra tonic never to be seen again.

ARN-LHR in March, seatmate next to me asked for a water, coke and a wine. he was declined and was advised he could have a coke and wine or a wine and water only or else they would run out of drinks. Seems a valid point BUT he was travelling with myself and another and we only asked for a wine only. Surely he could have had ours?

before i get blasted i more than appreiciate BA's generous shorthaul service, but want to know what the policy is re drinks? how many per pax?

CornishFlyer
29th Mar 2009, 10:42
Drinks are unlimited providing there is adequate stock available onboard. As for your rationing, you did state you were on the return to LHR so it is plausible that it was a busy sector on the way down so there may not have been a huge amount left for the way back. To be honest, I think it was probably just a case of trying to ensure that there was adequate stock so everyone got served a drink and prevent any conflict. Asking for 3 drinks does seem a tad excessive though. Surely a wine and water was enough as it was? Yes maybe the 3rd drink could have been provided but when it's been pointed out that stock is low, someone asking for 3 drinks does seem a tad selfish

As for the GLA, these are as you are aware, short sectors and so it's quite easy to forget a special request during the service. I can't account for the tone of voice used. Maybe the crew member was bogged down with similar requests and so maybe a little stressed. Who knows? Doesn't make it excusable but sometimes it can just be a bit manic. We all have good days and bad days :ok:

firstchoice7e7
29th Mar 2009, 15:33
thanks for the above reply.

I personally wouldnt ask for 3 drinks, i wouldnt have the nerve and yes your right we all have bad days. Though i hope dont meet Cruella on any more BA flights :}

ProM
30th Mar 2009, 11:51
I'm quite surprised by this thread, I have always rated BA as having one of the better catering services (including the service). Its the main reason I choose them nowadays (now that the flat beds have improved to the point that they are aren't incredibly uncomfortable).

I started to list what I didn't like about the catering on lots of other airlines but I realised that was unfair and probably against the rules.

radeng
30th Mar 2009, 15:22
Just occasionally, something goes wrong on BA when special meals are ordered. I've always found that the CC would then bend over backwards to manage an acceptable meal from what they had ( and could scrounge from other cabins!)

I did find Finnair very good though. But be warned - Finnair duty free booze prices are more expensive that Tesco!

jetboy81
30th Mar 2009, 20:24
The service standard for this route is meal followed by a bar trolley, followed by another bar with tea and coffee on top. After that clear in, duty free and time permitting a bar before landing.

The_Banking_Scot
7th Apr 2009, 21:52
Hi,

Thanks for the warning of finnair prices radeng!:ok:

I'm flying with Finnair on Friday LHR-HEL-HKG for a long easter break .

Regards

TBS