PDA

View Full Version : Accident aftermath

GMB 666
28th Mar 2009, 06:29
I am an A&P licensed mechanic certifying USA registered aircraft operating in Europe. My employer has the required policy manuals which are supposed to cover everything I may need to know and do when we have a major accident while operating in Europe. These guides are not, however, written from the point of view of the mechanic, but for the protection of the company.

I’ve been around long enough to know that the odds are that an accident is inevitably going to happen. I have always accepted this as part of what I do.
Although I have complete confidence in the systems and procedures in my direct control, there are many aspects out of my direct control that could ultimately affect me personally, financially and my future in the industry, should an accident occur.

With what I know from personal experience of the legal system, insurance companies and people generally, I am not naive enough to believe that should one of the aircraft I maintain go down in a heap, killing all on board, I will be treated fairly, justly and with an open mind while the cause of the crash is investigated. In my opinion, the legal system has no winners.

I would be very interested to get comments and feed back on this sometimes sensitive subject. It’s not a subject that mechanics and engineers or pilots wish to dwell on, but it is lurking in the back of our minds and is heavy in the pit of our stomachs as we watch the aircraft we know intimately climb out over the fence with our friends and passengers onboard.

Are there any engineers on the forum that have been in a situation like this, particularly as a foreigner in a European country? eg Italy, France, UK, Greece, Portugal and been unfortunate enough to be the certifying engineer on an aircraft that has crashed? How were you treated? What did you learn? What would you advise someone who finds themselves suddenly in this predicament? What would do different next time?
I’d appreciate your comments.

Rigga
28th Mar 2009, 21:52
G,
You don't need personal replies - you just need to read newspapers or even Flight International (www.flightglobal.com) for answers to your questions.

Read about:

Concorde

Helios B737

Spanair

And anything else in that last two years!