PDA

View Full Version : DOES SIZE COUNT ?

FREIGHTMAN
23rd Dec 2000, 17:03
I recently got invited to an interview for a Jumbo Job, but turned it down in favour of a position flying a small modern turbo-prop aircraft. Friends and colleagues told me I was nuts, but for me SIZE DOES NOT COUNT.

I love flying and the smaller aircraft fulfils my need to “fly”. No, I have not flown a Jumbo before and somebody said – “don’t knock it till you try it”. That feeling of a huge aircraft hurtling down the runway is awesome and the ultimate for any pilot !

I’d be interested to hear how other pilots feel about this issue. Am I nuts or am I rather part of a breed of pilots who enjoys the real challenges of flying, rather than hours and hours of long-haul boredom.

Lets forget about salary issues and assume the pay is the same - DOES SIZE COUNT ?

Cardinal Puff
23rd Dec 2000, 17:52
Yes...Definitely!!

Spearing Britney
24th Dec 2000, 01:55
Turning down a jumbo - GULP!

If early career probably sensible though from the broad experience point of view...

dingducky
24th Dec 2000, 07:33
the bigger it is and the more thrust it has the better ;)

------------------
Follow your dream! Unless it's the one where you're at work in your underwear during a fire drill!

Capt Claret
24th Dec 2000, 17:59
Freightman,

17 yrs ago when I started, I'd have said you're crazy. Now I enjoy being home most nights and don't think long haul's my cup of tea, so, if you're happy with the decision, then you're not crazy.

I would love to pole a 74 though!

------------------
bottums up !

redsnail
25th Dec 2000, 04:31
I thought this was a topic about.... Oh, I guess it would have been on Jetblast or Afterburn by now.... :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

scroggs
27th Dec 2000, 17:20
As you suggest, it is really a lifestyle choice; one isn't necessarily better than thoe other for all people. I fly the 747 and I love it, but I'm well aware that the 7+ hours of s&l at FL350 over the pond is not everyone's cup of tea. There is certainly more frequently a challenge in poling a light-ish turbo twin around Europe in winter. On the other hand, could you really embark on a career in commercial aviation without wanting the 74 on your licence? Other than Concorde, there is no civilian aeroplane with more cachet!
Anyway, it's horses for courses, and if you enjoy what you've got, why change it? You certainly shouldn't waste your life wondering if you've made the right choices - get on with it, and enjoy!

m&v
28th Dec 2000, 00:20
Initially'bigger' is better!!More $ due gross weight/speed. Then with experience comes,working/living conditions.Personally ,I avoided the O'sea's flying for the last 17years with My CO'.ended
up as no1 on my particular equipement,choice of flying,days off.Vacation etc.I've also known pilots end their careers,commuting to distant bases.on 'reserve'to fly the'big'one.
definitely not the choicest way to finish

fly4fud
30th Dec 2000, 13:48
no, no, size doesn't count, ask my wife :)

It's the number of engines that counts...

and my CMD told me during our last app into SIR, we have 4 of 'em and such a fantastic view on the Matterhorn that no '47 driver will never have :)

------------------
* cut my wings and I'll die *

Frederic
30th Dec 2000, 14:46
fly4fud, you flying the BAe 146? I do! Rather have a 74, dude, anytime! 146, weird machine! No of engines is not what counts, believe me!

fly4fud
30th Dec 2000, 21:28
Fred, I'm flying the RJ (85/100/100 mark II) breed of the Avro stable. I suspect the bird to be quite nicer in terms of cockpit environment, e.g. EFIS, FADEC, EGPWS, ACAS, FMS etc.

Weird? Aaaaahh... alright, sure they are a few British idiosyncrasies (oops, 'xcuse me folks), but the a/c is very nice to fly and surely just more manoeuvrable than a '47.

What are your points about weird?

P.S. and she still flies with 2 engines out, now what about your average Boing or Bus?
:)

------------------
* cut my wings and I'll die *

Basil
30th Dec 2000, 21:38
I recollect being advised:
Pick a good airline and stick to it like **** to a blanket.
Fly the biggest, newest kit you can get your hands on.
Take a command as soon as it's offered.
Thanks, John, I still think that was good career advice.

FYI the 747 will fly on two engines with two hydraulic systems out and a hole in the side - http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

PrettyBoy
2nd Jan 2001, 02:28
Hey fly4fud,

Sure the 146 is more manouevrable (spelling??) compared to the 747 but when you land at 300 tons, what can one expect? Actually, you can fly the Jumbo almost like any other jet I've flown. But what a rush!!!!

Bigger, bigger, better, better :)

Braking Action Unreliable
2nd Jan 2001, 05:03
I do not agree! I fly a small turbo prop myself and totally enjoy it. All the guys I speak to who do long haul on heavy jobbies all say:" wow you must have fun when you go to work" etc. I have been in the cockpit on some of the bigger things and been impressed by all the fancy computers etc. and I have also been impressed by how the drivers stay awake over the pond! Beats me! It seems, don't take it personal anyone, that it is great being ablte to tell everybody else that you have a 747 on your license and it sure must be satisfying to know that you have made it so far, but don't argue that flying a 747 is more fun than a small turbo prop.

OK Hit me

[This message has been edited by Braking Action Unreliable (edited 02 January 2001).]

TowerDog
2nd Jan 2001, 06:59
Well, I have flown a small turbo prop and a B-747.

The prop job was fun and I enjoyed it.
(DHC-6) Spent 2000 hours in the thing.
After a while it got kind of, uh, easy.

Got over 5000 hours in the 747, a nice machine for sure. Fun to fly, easy and stable, but go into Bombay at night in the monsoon season at max landing weight, then you may have to concentrate on the task ahead.
In other words, it can be challenging and therefore satisfying.

The pay check and days off also makes it a good deal.
If ya turn it down....Your decision, but ya may regret it later unless ya are Chuck Yeager and get a call like that every day.. :)

If ya get tired of the 747, well, quit and go back to the turbo props. Not sure you can go the other way.

No, size does not count, but good flying does, and the B-747 is good stuff.

(Did AACS call ya?)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Roadtrip
4th Jan 2001, 11:15
The integrity of the company you fly for is a lot more important than what aircraft you fly. Flying 74's for a lousy outfit is no bonus.

[This message has been edited by Roadtrip (edited 04 January 2001).]

expedite_climb
6th Jan 2001, 19:49
Its not the size of your wave, but the motion of your ocean....