PDA

View Full Version : East African Airways pre-war: any info?

Runnerbean
27th Mar 2009, 20:26
I am doing some research into East African Airways, specifically related to Kenya in the period before the Second World War. They were apparently a competitor to the (more succesful) Wilson Airways. I have a copy of the Kenya register and they had a couple of Wacos from 1934 and also a Fox Moth (VP-KBH), a Puss Moth, and later a Rapide. The post-war airline was not directly connected. Does anyone have any info? My great grandfather is said by the family to have financed this venture.

one11
28th Mar 2009, 09:40
This, from Encyclopaedia of African Airlines Ben R Guttery 1998

EAST AFRICAN AIRWAYS 1928-1936
This early airline operated to gold-mining areas and competed briefly with Wilson Airways in carrying mail and passengers. The airline was remembered mostly for one of its employees, author Beryl Markham, who operated her Avro Avian for the company. In 1935 the company carried 1287 passengers.

Googling or otherwise following up the Beryl Markham connection may yield more.

Runnerbean
28th Mar 2009, 10:09
Thanks One 11 for this intriguing reply - My GGF was likely to have known Markham so this fits. I am hoping this post might catch the eye of someone who worked at Wilson if not before the war (unlikely!) then at least in the immediate post-war period.

one11
28th Mar 2009, 10:43
A quote from Markham's book "West with the Night "appears in East African - An Airline Story ( of the later EAAC) 1993 which has Markham operating as a competitor of Wilson and the first East African. As other wording in this is identical to the later Encyclopaedia mentioned earlier, the "working for" quoted before may have been a transcription error.........

Runnerbean
28th Mar 2009, 14:29
As I read it (and from more research following your pointing me to the encyclopedia reference), Markham both operated independently in her Avian VP-KAN (owned by and registered to Jack Carberry) but also as a reserve pilot for East African. Carberry and my GGF were both coffee planters of Irish origin and so more possible connections evolve.

deltayankee
28th Mar 2009, 15:12
The people at the Aero CLub of East Africa might be able to help. It is based at Wilson Airport, Nairobi, and has been there since 1927. They have lots of old photos and old aero engines in the clubhouse so they could have some other historical information or at least point you in the right direction.

Welcome to Aero Club of East Africa (http://www.aeroclubea.net/)

Planemike
29th Mar 2009, 10:31
Runnerbean ........... You have a PM

Planemike

Runnerbean
29th Mar 2009, 18:59
Thanks all and keep the comments coming - this is turning out to be interesting, for me at least. I will contact the Aero Club as suggested.

rcg7770
13th Apr 2009, 07:32
East African Airways ltd believed formed in November 1934 with main backers John Carbery and Norman Turner with pilots GD Fleming, Beryl Markham plus++.

First service flight between Kisumu and Eldoret in Kenya 14th January 1935

Company liquidated in February 1937

Recommend you try to get hold of "East African Airmials to 1939" by Bill Colley published in 1994 as more details are listed in this book as well as extensive details on Wilson Airways

Gunner742
16th Jul 2011, 12:08
I am told that my cousin, Charles Brand Black, was one of the original pilots for East African Airways, and was an honorary member of the Aeroclub in Nairobi, he also performed the aerobatics at the opening of the Embakasi Airport (Nairobi) by Jomo Kenyatta in the early 60's. He also served with No 6 Sqd RAF during the war being awarded the DFC.

Planemike
16th Jul 2011, 15:22
Gunner..............

First off, welcome to the Forum. Good to to see this thread reopened: interesting to hear about your cousin and his connection to the original East African Airways.

Embakasi (Nairobi Airport) was opened on Sunday 09 March 1958 by the then Governor of Kenya, Sir Evelyn Baring. It should have been opened the day before by Her Majesty the Queen Mother who was returning from Australia. However the Super Constellation on which she was travelling suffered engine trouble at Mauritius so delaying her and the visit to Nairobi was cancelled: she returned direct to London.

Not quite sure where Jomo Kenyatta was at that time. Probably released from detention but not fully rehabilitated, his time was to come a little later.

Planemike

Gunner742
17th Jul 2011, 06:30
Planemike,
Many thanks for putting me right regarding J.K, I have only just discovered that Matthew was my cousin, or at least that he lived in Kenya, I will now correct the info on my family tree.

Regarding Bolton, I used to be, mid seventies, a Firefighter stationed at Hindley, and did many training courses at Bolton.

Kind regards

Gunner742

Planemike
18th Jul 2011, 13:51
Gunner..............

Have e-mailed you.........

Rgds Planemike

dns098
12th Nov 2012, 05:39
Hi,
I am wrting an Essay on my father's life; trying to fill in some gaps. I have found a diary of his that covers a trip that he and his brother made in 1931 in East Africa. The brothers were investigating the sugar industry in Kenya, Uganda and later South Africa as they were managers of a sugar cane mill in Australia. Among many components of the trip - bus, rail, steamer - the following brief note was made in his diary:

9/7/31 Got Moses to take us in a car to Kampala.
11/7/31 Plane left 1.30pm arrived Kisumu 1 hr., 55 mins later.

The brothers had been in Jinja, so the car trip with Moses :) was a short one.

Does anyone know what airline and type of aircarft would have been flying between Kampala/Entebbe and Kisumu in July 1931? It wouldn't have been a flying boat, would it?

Thanks for any information!

renfrew
12th Nov 2012, 10:27
Imperial Airways (http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/iaw3105.htm)

Possibly an Imperial Airways Calcutta flying boat.
This timetable from Port Bell/Kampala is similar.

Planemike
12th Nov 2012, 11:14
Must have been quite an adventure in 1931. Sugar industry was centred around Jinja.

Certainly looks like they travelled on Imperial Airways in which case it would have been in a Shorts S8 Calcutta, three engined flying boat. These operated from Khartoum to Kisumu, following the Nile and then crossing the North Eastern corner of Lake Victoria. Would have been one out of G-EBVG, G-EBVH, G-AASJ, G-AATZ.

Jackson states in BCA 1919 -1972 Vol III that the Khartoum - Kisumu service started in Jan 1932. The Imperial Airways timetable and other information leads me to believe the service would have been in operation during 1931.

Another possibility but have to say much less likely, would have been a flight with Wilson Airways who were operation in 1931.

Planemike

dns098
13th Nov 2012, 21:05
Renfrew & Planemike,
THANKS for the most interesting information. I found a photo on the internet of G-AASJ. What an amazing plane. I think the pilot was in front of the wings & engines?
Yes, that 1931 trip was a great adventure for the young men; they had crossed India before their African tour. One of the surprises of the East African trip was plagues of locusts everywhere that had ruined much of the sugar crop. The men travelled as far inland as Ibambi in the Belgian Congo.
My Dad went on to obtain his pilot's licence in Tiger Moths in 1941, but was deemed by the RAAF to be too old to be a pilot in WWII, though he applied. Another brother was a doctor who had an agreement with Australia's Royal Flying Doctor Service whereby he covered a triangle of towns in central NSW, flying from his sheep property to one or other of the towns on different days of the week, landing in the main street and conducting consultations for a few hours before flying home.
Regards, dns098