PDA

View Full Version : Could this really happen?

tunneler
7th Nov 2000, 14:58
Righty folks firstly this aint a wind up.

My younger brother came home from university yesterday (doing some engineering course) and was telling me that they were learning stuff about aircraft and their engines (fuel burn of 744 v 777 etc).

Now apparently his lecturer was telling the entire class that he has landed a 777......... (bumming about his liscence etc - bro' never caught what liscence he had so cant comment further on that)

The lecturer was adamant that it was a pax carrying 777 in the far east and he landed it.......

Now surely this is a huge breach of safety etc?????? Just wondered.

B
x

few@two
7th Nov 2000, 15:07
I think Mr lecturer sounds like he may have been dreaming a little too much and just playing on a flight sim!!!!!

An unlikely event don't you think, unless of course he's an ex pilot ???!!!!

ironbutt57
7th Nov 2000, 22:02
not too terribly long ago a flight attendant landed a B-737 at KPHL..as allowed by the capt, from the f.o.'s seat...don't think the crew works there anymore....

buck-rogers
7th Nov 2000, 23:57
I've met Father Christmas.

Snap
8th Nov 2000, 01:05
We`ve all come across them at parties, where no doubt you`ve been cornered by some boring old sop who once took a flying lesson and is therefore an expert.

Should BALPA lead a campaign to ban Microsoft flight Sim before the whole profession goes bonkers with kids ( and thier parents) coming upfront and saying that they`ve flown this approach on thier computers and theres nothing to it.

The yanks have the right idea in not allowing pax upfront. They say its got to do with saftey but the pilots sanity has got to be a contributory factor.

OH What an office view we have!

Rusty Cessna
8th Nov 2000, 01:36
There is a lad in my form, who has a dad who something on board a naval ship.

Tried telling me that he fired a "Sea Wolf" surface to surface missile, oh, and he has flown the "Anti-submarine" version of the Sea Harrier, from the back seat of course.

Now he might have done, does this really happen? Maybe I should ask my dad and see if I can whack a couple pointy things of the Ships racks!

Hehehe, these things always amuse me.
Rusty

Nite_Flite
8th Nov 2000, 01:42
...and I am the reencarnation of Marilyn Monroe...who the hell are you?

boeingbuff
8th Nov 2000, 10:05
Allowing Pax to "sit" up front still happens. Being an avid aviation follower I try to fly jump as often as possible. I was reciently invited to take the captins seat in a 330 mid way over the pond. I declined, but the invites are still happening,

Edmund Spencer
8th Nov 2000, 10:40
1. There is no "Anti Submarine" version of the Sea Harrier.

2. There is no two seat version of the Sea Harrier.

Nice try!!

------------------
Sleep after toil,
Port after stormy seas,
Ease after war,
Death after life does greatly please.

Bigmouth
8th Nov 2000, 14:03
Hey boeingbuff, IŽd decline to fly on an airline where the captain offers you his seat.

Lucifer
8th Nov 2000, 14:32
How do you suppose they ever train them then? There are two seat Harriers.
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~daveh/Military/seaharrier/

Look at the bottom of the images page and dada

However, how did he get his med cat.2 for the ride?

Sea Harrier is a defence fighter. Merlin will do the anti-sub stuff with Nimrod.

[This message has been edited by Lucifer (edited 08 November 2000).]

Mycroft
8th Nov 2000, 14:43
Lucifer - re your reference, check the production link at the bottom
There was no two-seater as such; the RN used RAF T.4s, but these didn't have Sea Harrier systems and were used as conversion trainers.
Also RC, you can inform your boasting friend that the Sea Wolf is a SAM with no anti-surface capability (in fact the targeting computers would reject a surface target for safety as any ships within range would be friendly)
For further info the Anti-submarine 2 seat Sea Harrier was invented by Tom Clancy in The Hunt for Red October as a method for getting Jack Ryan into the area quickly; it would not be an effective weapon as it could not hover with the weight of 2 crew and dipping sonar.

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 08 November 2000).]

PPRuNe Pop
8th Nov 2000, 18:12
Not R&N anymore so we will slip this quietly into Aircrew Notices. You never know it might revive, but right now its not going anywhere. So we'll save the server on R&N.

PPRuNe Pop
[email protected]

Smoketrails
8th Nov 2000, 18:27
Is that all he landed?

I've landed the A340 in BRU, A319 in ATL, B747 in FRA, B737 in BHX, B727 in CDG and I can land the Learjet.....damn, that last one gave it away!

fobotcso
8th Nov 2000, 18:46
Nite_Flite asks:

"...and I am the reencarnation of Marilyn Monroe...who the hell are you?"

Give us a kiss and I'll tell you! :)

fobo

Rusty Cessna
8th Nov 2000, 22:16
Well people!
I thank you as I tried telling my friend, but he was adamant, now he has seen the thread he knows otherwise. Just to make it know, I did not think that there was a Anti-Sub Version of the SHAR, and after the last crash there is no more 2-seater!

I ask you though, are people gonna miss the HAS-6? And will they prefer the Merlin? I just thought it was hilarious that he even tried telling me.

So then, I take it we stopped using Sea Dart? And isn't Harpoon our Ship-Ship missile?

Thanks people, happy laughing!
Rusty. :) :) :)

Chatterbox
9th Nov 2000, 02:12
To get back to the original part of the thread.......

Apparently FS2001 will be so advanced that all FS aviators will be forced to sign up with a 'virtual airline' once they have passed level 16.
Microsoft aims to have 'fully qualified' pilots (having completed the dodgy "flipped over by a 757 but got the Cessna down safely" scenario as well as the "strange sounding US feamle controller gets you lost in the Bay area while you test drive a lear" one as well) flying live routes over the net as soon as they are deemed competent by you worn out Pentium processor.

Hang on this is actually possible already...... just ask NASA.

MS want to add an ATC sim to run parallel to FS2001 so that spotty twelve year old kids can cover that part of 'the total flight experience' again at no cost.

Between the two of his latest software marvels Mr Gates will now run the whole of the aviation industry worldwide.

Personally my only worry sat down the back is;
What happens when Mom walks in and says 'OK five more minutes and then no more'?

Do I still get to raid the larder, will my personal entertainment pack still work and will the ice stay frozen? Or, am I know expected to walk up front and say 'It's OK I have the central Europe scenery pack upgrade so I'll take it visually from here'?

Ya know the worst bit.......
some of us will see this start to happen before we retire!!!!!

Chatters

dingducky
9th Nov 2000, 03:28
ok dunno about this one
but did prince charles ever stuff up the landing of a big jet a few years ago? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Toebrake
9th Nov 2000, 11:14
Yes he did. I'm sure someone else will give the full details, but as I remember it:-

BAE 146?

He was on an official visit to some scottish island, crosswind landing, skidded off the tarmac onto the grass and bent the nosewheel......

Something like that, nobody hurt just a lot of egg on face!!

------------------
Backtrack if required

PilotsPal
9th Nov 2000, 18:22
Wasn't it Islay he was visiting - going to check out the distilleries or something like that? I have a vague recollection the PoW said he wouldn't be flying again after that.

10W
9th Nov 2000, 20:40
Tunneler

You mean these aren't just jokes then ??

http://kieser.net/~gary/downloads/ILSexp.jpg

http://kieser.net/~gary/downloads/stuckpilot.jpg

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

Mycroft
9th Nov 2000, 23:21
Rusty
Sea Dart remains in service as the Navy's long range AA missile on Type 42 destroyers (its too big for the Frigates, and their role is mainly anti-submarine), and although it does have some anti-ship (and even anti-bunker capability in the Falklands, Harpoon is the official SS missile, along with Sea Skua and Sea Eagle AS missiles.