PDA

View Full Version : Time to pay for your daily prunes

Oilhead
1st Sep 2001, 18:05
I have been reading the recent postings about the deteriorating quality of information exchange that is now happening here. I see we have 36000 pruners.

I suggest Danny gets a subscription system going for those who want to actively contribute - say 20 bucks a year, and reset the memberships. It is a crude but effective way of cutting down on the BS postings. While there are some seriously good postings, I am finding that there is not enough time in the day to read all the different forums, and that when I do, much of what I read is worthy of a newsgroup mentality.

Ready with the loot Danny. PS. are you getting enough rest with all this forum monitoring?

PPRuNe Dispatcher
1st Sep 2001, 23:47
Paying to get onto PPRuNe isn't going to happen. I'll give you just one reason :

Many "wannabes" need to very very carefully watch every penny. Those who couldn't afford the $20 would miss out on what is probably the best source of information for the aspiring professional pilot, and what is at least as important is that we would lose what they bring to PPRuNe.

--Mik

flapsforty
2nd Sep 2001, 15:14
However Oilhead, if you or ayone of us wants to contribute voluntarily to the cost of running pprune, there is a way to do so!! :D

Have a look down in Jet Blast at a thread called "PPRuNe funding & PayPal", started by the Great Helmsman himself.

It tells you how to set up a paypal account which you then can use to pay for all kinds of good stuff, including personalized names & numbers at your posts and the very nice pprune badges to put on your uniform, dressjacket, swimming trunks etc etc.
Of course you can also use the system to just pay in any amount you deem reasonable for NOT having the admis put anything at all next to your name. :)
Hope this helps

Seat 32F
6th Sep 2001, 21:04
MIght I just add that there is another excellent online payment system at Nochex (http://www.nochex.co.uk) which allows payment to be made in GBP (Sterling) rather than USD.

ExSimGuy
8th Sep 2001, 12:19
Whilst I certainly agree that Danny et al have a massive job running this site, look at what happened with "JB II" - how many people said they would be prepared to pay for a "explicit" forum, and yet there are only 4 threads to date since Danny finally set it up :eek:

Flaps - Thanks for the tip about PayPal, but my credit card doesn;t seem to have any "3-digit verification group" - I gues I need to check this with my bank when they open on Saturday!

Groundgripper
8th Sep 2001, 15:00
Your bank opens on Saturday?!!
Mine gave up doing that several years ago - all in the cause of customer, sorry, shareholder satisfaction!

ExSimGuy
8th Sep 2001, 17:04
Groundgripper,

You got me! :)

If you look at my "where from" you will see I'm based in Mid-East - obviously for too long as every time I think of the "1st day of the week", my mind says "Saturday" :)

No - I'll have to wait till Monday before I can phone Barclays.

But I just found out there's no point as Danny's system won't work for anyone with a Saudi address on their card. I'll have to mail PPRuNe to get an address and send a stirling check !!

The Guvnor
8th Sep 2001, 21:27
ESG - the three digit goup should be printed on the signature strip on the back of the card.

ExSimGuy
9th Sep 2001, 00:26
Guv,

You'r right - the last four digits and the 3-digit code (how do they manage to print it when I haven't found a pen yet that will leave my signature on there more than a few times in my pocket :eek: )

But reading elsewhere, I discovered that the system doesn't work for card addresses in SV-land (even a Jersey-based Card) so, as I'm in Blighty at the moment, I have asked Danny for his address and I'l send a kite :)