PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checking

big pistons forever
8th Nov 2000, 03:05
Is there an easy way to spell check a post? I am relatively new to this computer stuff so I will apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

" on the sixed day GOD invented round engines and then he rested ,his work complete"

pigboat
8th Nov 2000, 06:26
On the SEVENTH morning, He invented oil companies to keep them suckers lubricated. :)

autoflight
8th Nov 2000, 09:03
Create your post in Word, spell check it, then copy & paste to pprune.

------------------

cokehead
8th Nov 2000, 15:00
Spell checkers are all well and good but they won't pick up subtleties in the language such as the difference between 'your' and 'you're' and 'there' 'their' and 'they're' all of which are correct spellings but are so often used incorrectly on these pages. Simple fact is there's no substitute for a bit of education. There are also books with words in called 'Dictionaries' which are freely available at most good bookshops.

Shed Driver
8th Nov 2000, 15:55
So cokehead, which bookshop is this which will let me have a Dictionary 'freely'? :)

Hew Jampton
8th Nov 2000, 16:24
Shed Driver - reference your possibly waspish comment to Cokehead, using the first dictionary definition of 'freely' as 'unrestricted' or 'unimpeded', the answer would be most bookshops. 'Free', meaning without cost is the second OED definition.

fobotcso
8th Nov 2000, 16:47
15-30 :)

PPRuNe Towers
9th Nov 2000, 01:20
Now, now, Love all....

We put a spell checker onto the system 3 weeks ago. Sadly it did for tight, stable code writing what Vincent van Gogh did for the development of stereo headphones.

There will be a mark two version but not for some time. Our apologies.

My normal spellchecker is worrying me though: it always highlights 'wannabees' with this suggestion: cannabis !! If you use Netscape 4.7 for your mail needs try it yourself.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

criticalmass
11th Nov 2000, 09:17
Fortunately, English has what I term a large "hysteresis envelope":- it remains more or less recognisable even when severely mis-spelled and otherwise mangled. There have been postings on Pprune about this delightful peculiarity. It is a characteristic which ensures the survival of the language in some recognisable form, quite probably until man becomes extinct and the sun goes red dwarf and reduces the planet to a carbonised cinder. (After that, all bets are off!)

Spell-checkers are all very well, but the occasionally original (and even unique) use of the language which crops up from time to time adds to the appeal of Pprune. Long may it be so!