PDA

View Full Version : PINK Echo 2 miles final 28

Meatbomber
31st Aug 2001, 14:59
.... i say on Frequency 130.12 to Cham INFO.. the airfield i'm approaching.
At Cham they have a fly-in and an hour before we dropped a load of 24 skydivers as part of the show program.
The Altimeter reads 300 feet, 2 miles distance click over on the GPS and the Airspeed is 175 Knots... i check the Torque gages and the EGT, the temperature is at 550°C our companies max continious temperature limit and the Torque is 55 PSI.
"PINK Echo you're cleared for the overshoot Runway 28" Says the guy on Chams INFO frequency, and at that moment i reach up and switch the two landing light switches on "Roger 20 seconds" i reply.
There's a purple Cessna 182 on the holding point and waiting, a few other aircraft are lined up on their grass apron and a Remorquer is sitting on the far end of the Runway, waiting to backtrack on this ultra narrow runway. Cham is actually a glider only strip and their "runway" is a 1000 feet long, 15 feet wide strip of concrete and a grass overrun that is used for the glider winch.

a slight push on the cloumn right after passing a powerline and a few trees bring the howling Skyvan down to a mere 5 feet above the overrun. 175 Knots at 5 feet, engines howling at max continious power i'm racing past the shack that's being used as their tower and the crowd. The end of the runway is approaching rapidly and i pull back on the column into a 2g climbing right turn to open up for an immidiate left turn to land 10. Power levers back to flight idle, watching the airspeed decreasing to flaps extension speed, i'm manouvering into final 10 with a 40 degree bank turn to the left.. finally speed is coming back to 100 Knots and i move the flaps handle to the down position.
Seconds later the Skyvan is established on a short final Runway 10 at 65knots. With slight corrections i guide her down onto the centerline and the wheels screech shortly after with about 5 inch on each side of the main wheels to the grass.

The whole operation to backtrack on the runway and and picking up the skydivers takes about 3 minutes, after which i apply takeoff power again to depart from runway 28. The skydivers have left the tail gate open and are dangling their feet out.. they still are when we do another overshoot in the other direction as we head for home...

we left smiling faces, good memories and the smell of JET A-1

what a day

Cheers
Phillip
Skydive PINK Klatovy
http://members.aon.at/duckwing6/pinkex.gif

StressFree
31st Aug 2001, 22:05
What a load of old Bolloc*s............

:eek:

411A
31st Aug 2001, 22:17
Say there StressFree, are you having a slight sense of humour failure? :rolleyes:

StressFree
31st Aug 2001, 23:34
411A,
The only failure around here is you..........

:rolleyes:

411A
1st Sep 2001, 05:57
StressFree--

Not hardly......but hey, why would you give a hard time to someone who posts a slightly entertaining bit about his company and what they do? At least he is not moaning about the lack of adequate training at Gulfstream for the JAR rating.
See now you are flying a B737NG, why did you quit the Gulfstream after all the cash your company spent on you?
And try not to make fun of those younger guys who are trying to make a living in less fancy equipment.
:p

[ 01 September 2001: Message edited by: 411A ]

StressFree
1st Sep 2001, 10:41
I didnt quit the G4, the company sold it. We were flying the 737NG and the G4 but the G4 was too expensive just to run around Europe.
Facts old chap; its always important to know the facts.......

:)

Meatbomber
1st Sep 2001, 11:35
LOL less fancy equipment the Shed is .. but i guess a heck of a lot more fun to fly !

seems a lot of Profesional Pilots have forgotten that there should be a bit of fun involved in your Job

Cheers
Mb

P.s.: Stressfree can your mount match that paint job ?
http://www.pink.at/bilder/fdeclmb6.jpg

[ 01 September 2001: Message edited by: Meatbomber ]

Mycroft
1st Sep 2001, 23:47
I can't believe it.
They've actually made a shed look worse :)

Kiltie
2nd Sep 2001, 03:49
Nice to see someone enjoying their job. I have got to have the most monotonous flying job in the world in a 40 tonne+ machine which pays well albeit, and this posting brings back happy memories of a challenge & fun flying.

Let the guy have his glory; if you think it's "b****cks" then it's obviously not directed at you so ignore it.

Don't be so nasty.

CRX
3rd Sep 2001, 17:34
Come back Kiltie, you know where the fun flying is to be had!!!
CRX

StbdD
3rd Sep 2001, 19:48
My Gawd what an ugly beast! Uhhh, can I have a go? :O)

Blue Skies

Delta Wun-Wun
3rd Sep 2001, 21:47
Meatbomber,
You lucky sod!!...Can I please...please...have a go,can I?..Can I ? :cool:

ScopeDope
4th Sep 2001, 11:04
StressFree is obviuosly not as stress free as he would like. Good post bomber, makes a change from all the whinging round here.

gravity victim
4th Sep 2001, 14:43
I also enjoyed your post, Meatbomber. Brought back happy memories of jumping a Skyvan at Dunkeswell many years ago. 14 grand for a quid back then, and you could even ride a bicycle off the tailgate! :) :)

Paterbrat
9th Sep 2001, 15:38
Blooming heck you were lucky, it cost us three quid for 2,500 from the Rapide at Thruxton and no bike either. If you were really pushed you could go for the Jackeroo or even the Tiger, mind you spotting was easier, "hey Charlie, back up a bit we've gone too far". Backward races on a windy day.
Yes meatbomber fun posting, thought the paintjob looks truly 'orrible' but then given the cargo pretty appropriate, bet you they like it. Elegant it isn't but probably a great jump ship. Whose the misery guts that's missing his GIV