PDA

View Full Version : South African Airlines

Springbok90
26th Mar 2009, 17:50
Hi,

My big dream is to fly for SAA. I am now a ATPL student in europe, and when i am finished i will have a (f)ATPL. My plan is then to apply by SAA as second officer. But does SAA accept european ab initio's? The SAA website says:
In order to qualify, applicants must be :-
South African citizens,
matriculated, with a pass in Mathematics or Physical Science
in possession of a valid SA Commercial Pilot’s Licence or higher with an Instrument Rating Endorsement
a valid Class 1 medical.
All applicants should have at least 1,000 hours experience which should include at least 220 hours experience on multi-engine aircraft.If this is true, you can not apply as european ab-inito? Can anywhone explain if i make a chance at SAA?

Thnx,

JonnyTheCrayfish
26th Mar 2009, 23:34
Hi there Springbok90

Sorry to say so my friend, but as the requirements on the website state, they only accept applications from South African citizens. So unless you get the required hours, marry a South African girl and stay married for (I think) at least 5 years, your chances are about zero of getting into SAA.
As SAA still belongs to the government, and with the national jobless figure still above 20%, they will never be allowed to hire any foreigners until all available SA pilots have been hired.
Hey, only fair I suppose, as South Africans are not allowed to work in Europe either if they don't have an EU passport (or are married to an EU citizen).
Don't let it put you down though, there are many great opportunities out there, maybe not right now, but for sure in the near future when things turn around.
Good luck! :ok:

chongololo
27th Mar 2009, 00:15
Well I guess I will have to be the first to say it so flame away.
Make sure you are the right colour 'sprinkbok90' it's going to be the main factor in your sucess at SAA.
Sorry to be so blunt but it's true.
Good luck

davidjh
27th Mar 2009, 09:15
I agree with Chongololo. It is sad but true that your chances are greatly increased if you are. :(

BSmuppet
27th Mar 2009, 09:24
Springbok90,

I'm surprised. You ask ppruners whether SAA accept europeans and then copy and paste the requirements saying that they only accept south African citizens! They are not lying!

Out of interest why mention SAA when there is a rather large international airline on your front doorstep?

One more thing - what is the right colour?

bluelearjetdriver
27th Mar 2009, 16:09
One more thing - what is the right colour?

You need to be as white as a snow flake :}

Sorry couldn't help myself!!!!

Springbok90
28th Mar 2009, 12:43
@ BS muppet,

I know they are telling the true on the SAA website, but it really suprised me. I couldn't imagine that such a big airliner as SAA can fill her fleet with just only south african pilots. So i thought that maybe on this forum ther were pilots that fly for SAA that could tell me exact how it works at SAA.

The reason that my dream is/was to fly for SAA, is that i lived a long period of my live with my parents in South Africa. And in all the years i leaved thear, i got a really speacial band with South Afrika and SAA.

However, thanks for the reactions. And i am looking out for nice South African girls;)......

BSmuppet
30th Mar 2009, 07:51
I must admit that I can't believe that you can't believe SAA will only have SAA pilots.

Fair enough a Direct entry Captain scheme may allow expats but for low hour cadets, I think every country is suprlus to requirements.

In most countries apart form the EU which might as well be a country now :mad:, you have to be a resident to work in that country. I'd love to be able to walk over to Singapore Airlines and say, yeah give me a place on your cadet scheme above all other Singapore Nationals. But it just won't happen.

Maybe you should have got dual citinzenship whilst living there. Then you may have been elegible.

rziola
3rd Apr 2009, 11:28
Coming from SA, there are two thing that will determine whether you get in or not, that is, you skin colour (Not a racist statement, but fact, the airlines has to hire 30% more non-white pilots, dictated by the goverment) and it is about who you know. Fact

Of Course coming from SA, being an SA cistizen is essentiall too, but wake up and smell the not to fresh air, stay away from this carrier, bumped into a cadet the other day from what I believe he said, he was flyng the 330-777, cant remember, but had no more than 450 TT......

JonnyTheCrayfish
3rd Apr 2009, 12:46
I disagree with rziola on a few things. The min. experience required is 1000hrs TT of which at least 220 ME, and they are quite rigid with those requirements. Cadets come from their own program (which has been stopped for the time being) and fly for their regional subsidiary SA Express for the first few years until they have the required experience to graduate to the A340s. Direct-entry starts go straight onto the A340, but in a second officer role for the first year or 2, before they move into the RHS.

It is true that it has been more difficult for white pilots to get into SAA during the last few years, but the doors seem to have opened again. I have a few friends who started late last year, all ex-air force, both white and non-white, who are all excellent pilots and well deserved of the opportunity. The bulk of the pilot force is ex-military and the training standards are of the best in the world. Certainly no need to "stay away from this carrier" as has been suggested...

lpokijuhyt
8th Apr 2009, 21:05
you have to be what the government calls a pdi or something. stands for previously disadvantaged individual. If you are white then you cannot claim pdi status and then you cannot be hired. the rainbow nation is not as colorful as you may hear about on the news. haha