PDA

View Full Version : after A-level...

soloist
26th Mar 2009, 17:03
i just complete my A-levels (further math, math, physics).
i think of becoming an aircraft maintenance engineer with airlines...
but no idea where/how to start..:confused:

can anyone pls give me some ideas?

tq

Miles Gustaph
27th Mar 2009, 14:49
Unfortunately due to the current world economic crisis Apprenticeships are few and far between, which would be your easiest way into the industry.

To get a license to work on aircraft, which I appreciate is not necessary for a career in Aviation Maintenance, but certainly comes with a bigger salary, you need to be over 21, have four and a half years experience of aircraft maintenance in the trade of your choice, or you do an apprenticeship, then you do your exams...

I'm probably going to get shot down for saying this, and I hope I never meet your mother but I'd look at doing a stint in the military. I think it's fair to say the majority of engineers in the industry learned their trade in the forces as apprenticeships have always been few and far between.

Anyway good luck with your search, and keep an eye on Aviation Job search for job adverts you never know something may turn up.

Miles

coax
27th Mar 2009, 16:26
If I were you I would consider doing something completly different if I could go back to when I left school knowing what I know now there is no way I would of become an aircraft engineer you can earn far more money with a lot less studying working normal hours.Before anyone says anything I am a licenced avionic engineer with numerous type approvals.

mrmagooo
27th Mar 2009, 19:15
Monarch are looking for aprentices at Luton and Manchester, although I think the first year is at Luton anyway. Look on their website, but dont hang about Im not sure of the closing date.

Flybe also do them, but not sure when the intake is so prob best calling their training dept. They are building a new facility I believe.

I think I remember seeing something advertised for Thomas Cook but cant remember where. The guy to speak to is Ade Guirey (gear- ree) at their Machester hangar, he is head of apprentices or similar....

Not sure if Thompson were doing any, or Virgin but am pretty sure they use to..... Have a look on their website or over on www.airmech.co.uk (http://www.airmech.co.uk) apprenticeships have been covered on there, and guys who work at various places tend to put up info if anything is happening at their company........

Good luck, you will meet many negative people, but I enjoy my job and if I hadnt got my apprenticeship a few years ago, Ive not a clue what I'd be doing now...........

boeing_eng
28th Mar 2009, 14:09
Generally, there are three routes:

1.Forces Training

2.Airline or Maintenance Company Training (apprentice)

3.Ab-Initio (college training from scratch)

Although ex-Forces myself, I would go for an apprenticeship these days given the choice. The advantage you will have over the Ab-Initio route is that you’ll earn wages throughout training and get far more of the all-important hands-on experience (with the prospect of a job when you finish)

You’ll get plenty of comments from Maintenance Engineers, trying to steer you in other directions!:= However, its a varied and challenging career and if you put the work in and get Licensed, you will have qualifications that will generally be in demand

Hope this helps

simonchowder
28th Mar 2009, 15:15
Id agree with boeing eng, my experience is that companies avoid the guys from the ab initio route like the plauge when they can as they are viewed as "plastic engineers", ok they know the theory but ask them to actually pick up the spanners and do the job and their struggling, in contrast to a guy who has done at least five years real work on the hangar floor before he gets his licence and can actually knock a rivet down correctly. ps i wouldnt take to much notice of the doom mongers, type rated licensed engineers can earn a very decent salary

vs69
29th Mar 2009, 15:29
Virgin recruiting for apprentices this year, check out the virgin-atlantic.com website and check out the careers section, move fast tho!