PDA

View Full Version : 1st Fixed wing hours

allanon1980
26th Mar 2009, 12:05
Hi guys,

I'm a PPL(H) with about 150 hours. I recently decided to start my fixed wing PPL and have 2 hours done so far. I must say though, that I don't have the same feeling of excitement I used have whn I began my Heli PPL. I'm in no rush to get back into the plane for another lesson, whereas even now I would crawl over broken glass to bring a heli for a spin!!!!!

Maybe I have to give it more time.... Anyone else experience anything similar?

heliboy999
26th Mar 2009, 12:11
Did it the other way round, Fixed wing first (150 hours inc 50 Aerbatics) then PPL (H) CPL (H). I have not flown a Fixed wing for 18 months. Have access to a SU 29 for some aeros if I want it but still have not got the urge. I like fixed wings now to be cheap and plenty of leg room and a nice lady to bring me a drink and some peanuts during the flight. If the inflight movie kees me awake thats a bonus too!

HB999

RINKER
26th Mar 2009, 12:58
Go with your first choice stay with the helicopter

QDMQDMQDM
26th Mar 2009, 13:09
Go fly a taildragger, especially out of grass strips or off airfield. Much more exciting and interesting. Go and have a look at supercub.org, the 'poor man's helicopter'.

B Sousa
26th Mar 2009, 13:09
Not so fast. Consider that there are values to having a F/W rating. It allows you to build total time a lot cheaper. For example if you get an IF rating F/W, you will have all the knowledge and will make your Helicopter IF rating easier(=cheaper)
Dont sell it to short.
Also total time is total time.. As in turbine time is turbine time.

allanon1980
26th Mar 2009, 14:06
Ya, think I might stick at it and get the PPL, then see which way to go, CPL A or H. I do find the heli a lot more challenging to fly, whereas the fixed wing is a bit less intense, and dare I say it, easier!!!!! Well, maybe not but its a lot different...

Phil77
26th Mar 2009, 14:07
I can second almost all the things B Sousa mentioned - not sure about the turbine hours though, most insurances (or their respective operators ;) ) like "helicopter" turbine time.

Fixed wing wasn't much fun for me either... until I got into jets and did some (very) unusual attitude training :O
Best thing in F/W to me is still the breaking out on top of the clouds, best when enduring a stretch of gray rainy days! Ahhhh! :cool:

FH1100 Pilot
26th Mar 2009, 15:29
This is a helicopter forum so naturally the posters are going to be biased towards helicopters. But I always laugh when I hear helicopter pilots say that fixed-wing flying is "easier." Anyone who would say such a thing has never flown an airplane. Or hasn't flown one much.

Hovering is solely what separates the two types. Hovering is a high-workload task that requires pretty much the same level of skill all the time. Yes, I've made some tricky approaches in my 206 that did require extra skill in their planning and execution, but it's what happens when the rotor drops below ETL that causes all the "fun."

By comparison, fixed-wing flying might seem "easier" or even "boring" on the surface. But then there are the times when you're landing to a runway and the wind is howling directly across it. And it's gusting. And it's raining. And it's at night. And the runway is short. And there's no other place to land close by. Have I been in such situations? Sure have! Not all airplane flying is done on beautiful, clear days with light winds that blow straight down long, wide runways. Oh, if only! I have sometimes wrestled with airplanes, cursing the day I ever got my fixed-wing rating.

I could go on but I won't. Fixed-wing flying offers different challenges and rewards than helicopter flying. Neither is "easier" or "more fun" anymore. To me, flying is flying - it's all good! We fly a Bell 206 as I said, but the boss keeps making noise about getting an airplane...a Piper Meridian or a TBM-850 or maybe a baby King Air. Frankly, even with 10,000+ hours of mostly helicopter time, I would crawl across broken glass to fly any of those airplanes.

Fly what you love...love what you fly...justify it any way you must. If you think that flying helicopters is the be-all and end-all and nothing else would ever make you happy, then that's great. But not everyone feels the same way. (Except on this forum.)

allanon1980
26th Mar 2009, 16:51
Fair point, I said the easier bit in jest!!!!

rudestuff
26th Mar 2009, 20:01
Let us know how you get on with your training - I know two helicopter pilots who did the same thing - both were solo after 3 hours!

ReverseFlight
26th Mar 2009, 22:29
I was a CPL(H) with several hundred hours' experience before I started to touch a fixed wing.

I would say that FW is slightly easier than a heli in that you don't have to pick up to a hover to taxi (for skid helis anyway), you don't have to worry about vortex ring or LTE and all that, and forced landings in a FW are like ... well, they go on for ever, whereas an auto in a heli only gives you about 20 seconds to cheat crashing and burning.

Helis are very challenging but FWs are great too - they fly faster, higher and are cheaper. Apple and oranges, really, but both fun nonetheless.

Enjoy!

B Sousa
27th Mar 2009, 01:36
But I always laugh when I hear helicopter pilots say that fixed-wing flying is "easier." Anyone who would say such a thing has never flown an airplane. Or hasn't flown one much.

Few thousand hours in both and I do believe flying fixed wing is a bit easier. Can we say less eventful.. Also had water coming in the windows on both.
Its certainly fits what Allanon1980 wants to do and that is get some ratings cheaper.
Hour per hour in the begining stages its a bit more financially advantageous. Requirememnts are better also. One can get the F/W rating and a helicopter add on...cheaper. One gets the F/W IF rating and then take it to Helicopters cheaper.
Thats the point Im trying to make.

Let see FH1100, I remember when that was the first Helicopter for the California Highway Patrol......not dating myself.