PDA

View Full Version : Not really sure where to start...

Danizer
26th Mar 2009, 05:48
So I'm still in high school, grade 11 and graduating next year.

I'm not so sure what courses I need to take to be a commercial pilot. I know that the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Program doesn't take people without degrees so I guess I'll need to go to university. But what subjects do I really need to be "Qualified"?

If I don't take this road in becoming a pilot (going through cathay pacific's own program) what other roads can I take?

many thanks!

Daniel

OneIn60rule
26th Mar 2009, 09:06
Read the sticky.

Third thread from the top of this forum.

1/60

belleh
26th Mar 2009, 12:34
A couple of quick points. You don't need a degree, though it'd probably be wise. If not a degree, then at least whatever the Canadian equivalent of A-Levels are (the bit you'd do in between high school and before university, I'm assuming such a level exists in Canada). The main reason for that from a wannabe or a pilots perspective is that you never know when the next recession, disaster or downturn might occur and cause mass unemployment. It happens. Likewise, a loss of your medical would be a show stopper. As could any number of factors. So, always a good thing to keep your options open. If you don't like the sound of further or higher education, then perhaps some kind of vocational move could be more appropriate. Either way, keep your options firmly open and have a definite second string to your bow.

Next, whatever Cathay Pacific offer (I don't know or care) is not the only way to become a pilot, by any means. Be aware that the quickest/cheapest/sparkliest route is not necessarily the best, and that everyone is different, so one size does not fit all. For more information on that, you really will need to read the stickies and any other useful threads in this (and other) forums, websites, etc. Also, try and avoid the marketing hype and read between the lines where possible. All valuable skills for any professional. If you do decide to go the pilot route, you'll have to get used to taking in lots of information and digesting it in any case.

Once you've spent some time taking in all the freely available information here and elsewhere, feel free to ask some more specific questions and no doubt people will be happy to answer. Good luck.

preduk
26th Mar 2009, 21:49
Belleh,

I believe the majority of Canadian Airlines require a University degree to join them, I'm not 100% sure might be somethign someone from Canada would be able to advise.

belleh
27th Mar 2009, 00:35
If that is the case then Danizer, adjust my advice accordingly. This is where you really need to do your research. I know you're probably desperate to start as soon as possible, but I'd suggest a bit of life experience would be worth its weight in gold. You're young, so take things slowly, keep your eye on the market, get some extra qualifications and most of all enjoy yourself.