PDA

View Full Version : C206 vs C210 Hours

erik07
25th Mar 2009, 21:22
Hi Everyone,

I'm an American national with an FAA CPL ~260hours, currently studying in Australia. I will, along with what seems to be the rest of fresh CPL holders, be trying to land my first job in Africa towards the end of this year / early next year, as I have family in SA and spent a good part of my youth living in Zambia. Having done a little bit of research (thank you PPRuNe search :ok:), I believe the C206/210 are the most widely-used low-timer bush-planes used in the region, and I now have the opportunity to gain a few hours on either or both before leaving Australia.

After spending tens of thousands of $$$ on my license, cash is a little low, so I can only afford a total of 3-5 hours on getting this additional experience, so my question to you Africa-wise PPRuNers out there is whether you believe it would be advisable to spend all of my dosh getting hours on the C206, C210, or split it so i have around 2-3 hours of each?

The advantage of getting both, is that I think some African countries will automatically 'rate' me on the aircraft if I can prove ANY time flown in them in my logbook, hence giving me 'easy ratings' for both the 206 and 210.

Would really appreciate some advice/feedback/input.

Cheers, and many beers!

Erik

B Sousa
25th Mar 2009, 21:49
If thats all the money you have, the use of the 210 gives you retractable time vs. the 206. Might as well get all you can for your money. At that low time it may be the best, albeit if you work there chances are better you will be in a 206

B Sousa
26th Mar 2009, 14:58
May not be any column for it, but some folks ask the question as its part of "complex" aircraft in the smaller ones. In the states Insurance companies ask for it.
More than likely its because the rates are different for retractable as the story "there are those who have landed wheels up and those who will"
Either way 210 would probably be better.

Der absolute Hammer
26th Mar 2009, 15:16
Logic diktates that you have more time on the C210 because the wheels go up and down.
So why not allow your log book to reflect the conversion to the 206 in perhaps 2 hours followed at once by a conversion to the 210 in another 2 hours, followed by several hours flying in the 210 with an ending one hour in the 206? The nearest any one in Africa will possibly ever come to checking what you do is to see if there is a 206 or a 210 registered on the airfield where you are.

Soap Box Cowboy
26th Mar 2009, 16:02
I wouldn't blow whatever nuts you have squirreled away on getting any time on these planes. 2-3 hours is not a hell of a lot in the grand scheme of things. And as mentioned before operators will train you on the aircraft. I don't think many would keep a straight face if you told them you had six hours on type. For most out here that's a days flying. Best to save your money, what might be worth it is to try and get hold of the manuals. Study up on them and know the aircraft, that will be more useful to you. And if you have decided you know where your going to try your luck try and get the aviation charts and perhaps a basic GPS.

Tanzania, Kenya and Malawi mainly use the 206 over the 210 Mozambique too from what I recall.

In Tanzania they want 200 hours on type for a straight onto your license endorsement, and think you would still need to sit the TTR and do a proficiency check.

B Sousa
26th Mar 2009, 16:33
All things considered, I think SBC is right. Let someone else foot the bill for something they want you to fly........

erik07
26th Mar 2009, 23:40
Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for all the input. The main reason why I was considering getting the extra time on either of these planes was because some threads on this forum discussing employment opportunities mentioned that getting at least 5 hours on type before applying would be seen as a significant advantage over other applicants. It didn't make too much sense to me either, since I, too, don't consider 5 hours worth the money spent on them. I just figured that with the current oversupply of pilots everywhere (including Africa by now), any factors to set me apart from other potential applicants would be advantageous.

From your replies I have gathered that though it can certainly not hurt my chances hopping on a 206/210 for some hours, I may be best off keeping my money and spending it on something a little more worthwhile. Either way, all your input was greatly appreciated and very helpful. I think I'll have to reconsider what to do with my savings :)

Cheers,

Erik

B Sousa
27th Mar 2009, 01:54
You can buy us all a beer when you get a job........Meet you here.

Gilroy Real Ales and Lager: Visit our Restaurant, Pub and Beer Garden (http://www.gilroybeers.co.za/)

ct2003
27th Mar 2009, 11:30
There is also the licence validation isue which you find in pprune as well. Some African CAAs still only validate you on the types you have flown before. Might be helpful to know this restriction in advance and undergo previous training accordingly. So splitting up your money on 206 as well as 210 might be helpful... Good luck!

nibbio86
27th Mar 2009, 12:05
erik, why don't you try to do some meat bombing while in Australia? It is a private operation in this country, not a commercial one, and from the little I know the requirement for most operators is PPL/CPL and 200 hours. In this way you would get some 206 time for free-or even get paid for it. You won't become rich though.

B Sousa
27th Mar 2009, 18:27
Dont let them feed you Veggiemite....................YUK