PDA

View Full Version : Dual National travel question?

Sheep Guts
21st Dec 2000, 04:56
I am currently a dual national. How does one use 2 Passports when travelling?There must be other people out there with similar questions.Any ideas?
Currently hold Aussie and British?

Regards Sheep

------------------
Props are for boats!Unless its a Kingair.

411A
21st Dec 2000, 05:26
Use the British passport when traveling/entering the UAE. No visa required. Visa will however be required for SaudiArabia.

Capt. XXXX
22nd Dec 2000, 02:22
Simple, use your Ozi one into and out of Oz (This is actually a requirement), and use your British one in all other countries, especially the EU, as the process is heaps quicker, and no visas are required.

Sheep Guts
22nd Dec 2000, 07:19
Thanks 411A AND Capt.XXXX,
I appreciate your advice.But do the immigration people get angry when depating on one passport and arriving on another?
Please forgive me if this sounds a we bit stupid!I havent tried this in Latin America yet. I am a bit scared http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif, prorbably watched Midnight Express on Video too much do you think! :)

------------------

redsnail
22nd Dec 2000, 11:56
When I travelled to the UK from Oz, I left on teh Oz passport and returned on the Oz passport. As has been said, it is a requirement. I spoke to a Customs mate and he said that is all they care about. Travel as much as you like on the UK one once overseas.
If you leave Oz on any other passport than the Oz one, Oz is no longer required to help you should you get into any difficulty whilst over seas. You have deemed to have forgone your Australian citizenship.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Self Loading Freight
22nd Dec 2000, 13:04
I think you use whatever passport you think is going to cause you less hassle on entry to a country -- I've never heard of anybody checking up with the port of departure to see whether you left on the same passport, nor can I see any reason why they should.

Friends of mine with dual nationality do this all the time: the British/Irish contingent use the Irish passport much more often as nobody hates the Irish while everyone seems to have an axe to grind against the English, while others use one passport for Israel and the other for Islamic countries (and for surrender to hijackers: it's quite often a Bad Idea to be connected with Israel in those situations).

I hate passports.

R

AeroBoero
24th Dec 2000, 02:29
I have two passports too. To every other country that I go (not much) I use my EU one.
When I still lived in Brazil , I used the Brazilian to get out&in the country. So as has been said here , use your Oz one to get in&out Oz. And the EU to every other country.

Sheep Guts
24th Dec 2000, 07:34
Thanks to you all,Redsnail,Self Loading Freight and Aeroboero for your input.
I can rest easy now, when travelling.

Merry Xmas
Sheep :) :) :) :)!

------------------

sarboy
25th Dec 2000, 23:33
For heaven's sake don't use the same passport to get in the States that you used to get into Cuba. Oh the inhumanity! But those nice Cuban chaps will probably put their entry stamp on a separate piece of paper stapled to your passport (so that you can throw the evidence away before going States'-side). US Customs get a bit dischuffed if you lose that silly piece of paper they staple to your book when you enter the country. They use to track where everybody goes or something - who knows. So if you were to enter on one passport and then try to leave on a different one (for some querky reason of your own) expect some suspicious looks and a longer wait. I came in once on military orders (ie no silly piece of paper) and the departing conversation went like this.

Me:

sarboy
25th Dec 2000, 23:38
I'll finish shall I - then I'll get me coat...

Me (to stern US Customs Bloke: Hello, sir - I'm going home.

sUSCB: Where's your form xyz?

Me: Oh, I haven't got one.

sUSCG: How did you get into the United States?

Me: I came in commercially on military orders last June.

sUSCB: You would still have been given a Form xyz. Where did you enter?

Me: Right here.

sUSCB: No you didn't. Wait here...

In the end (after 'phone calls to my base to check I was a real person) they made me leave the country and then re-enter so that I had a Form xyz that they could pull off my passport.

Rule 1...

LittleBubba
27th Dec 2000, 07:15
Since when does US Customs check your passport when you leave US? They don't even check it when you enter US, that job belongs to the INS.

I guess another failed attempt to bash US....

GET A LIFE LOOSER!!!!!

longarm
1st Jan 2001, 20:05
Sarboy,
My passport has two pages of Cuban entry/exit stamps siting next to US visas and entry stamps. This has never caused any problems on the many occasions I have visited the States. If however you are a US citizen then this is a different matter. (mine is a UK Passport)

Basil
1st Jan 2001, 20:31
Ah, LittleBubba, I believe it's spelt LOSER and the guy's probably just got Customs & Immigration mixed up.
Perhaps he'll come and rescue you one day http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif