PDA

View Full Version : High Definition camera mount for Jetranger

Dick Smith
24th Mar 2009, 21:34
I知 considering making a few extra documentaries this year and I知 wondering if anyone has any clues about a high definition video camera mount for a Jetranger.

Rather than going all the way to one of those gyro balls, which cost upward of $200,000 each, I知 wondering if anyone has mastered mounting a video camera on the nose with a way of removing the inherent two per rev vibration.

Any clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, someone may know of a cheap gyro ball which is for sale.

Catpants
24th Mar 2009, 21:58
Dick

I've been working in film/TV for over 25 years, both self-employed and now at the biggest production rental company in the world.

I have a work-in-progress project that involves creating a cheap alternative to the ridiculously expensive options currently available.

The project also involves a colleague of mine from Boeing Aerospace and the ultimate aim is to produce a product for around the AU$50k mark.

If you're inclined and/or interested in knowing some more details, please PM me. I'm based in Sydney.

Rgd's

Catpants

southerncanuck
24th Mar 2009, 22:46
we have mounts for
- 206 / 407 , nose, belly and aft tail area
- all are faa stc'd

as for cheap cameras, got to be some coming on the market with consolidation of the US ENG market
cal

misterbonkers
24th Mar 2009, 23:00
Tyler have just created something along these lines. Last time I looked at the Flightlogistics website (UK Rep for Tyler) they were offering it for rent. Not sure what outright purchase price is though.

MikeNYC
25th Mar 2009, 00:42
Sorry for ignoring your nose mount request, but if you're OK with a door mount, try Arnie Itzkowitz's Aerial Exposures platform: Gyro Stabilized Video Film Camera Mount Platform Stabilized Video Film Camera Mount Gyro Stabilizer Video Film (http://www.aerialexposures.com/gyroplatform.htm) .

Priced from under $10k to about $50k, they're a cheap alternative to a Tyler Mount and require no STC to use in aircraft. They're quite portable and would work with a variety of cameras. If you're looking for a nose mount, you could go with the Tyler Nose Mount (which is a non-stabilized mount, and has control over tilt) or with a gyro ball. Is renting a gyro ball out of your budget? There are plenty of options available in HD, and in this economy you might have some room to bargain with the vendor...

Flying Bull
25th Mar 2009, 10:32
Hi Dick,
did once a freelancer job
206 was from Agrarflug Helilift - Ahlen (http://www.agrarflug-helilift.com/)
Camera with mount (nose) was from a dutch company.
(some weight was added in the baggage compartment)
The guy came with a transporter, fitted the mount and the camera, we did ja short hop to check the system and then did the flight with the guy on the cameracontrol and the contractor in the back to know, what to be filmed.
Saw the HD video short after landing on a big flatscreen - no vibration could be seen - cool video along a river and so on.
Iエm not sure, but could have been a wescam-system
Give Agrarflug a call - or email.

Found a foto - from a different flight - that was a sidemount with Agrarflug
Helionline.de (http://www.helionline.net/photogallery/2/13/849//17/Ahlen.html)

Greetings Flying Bull

P.S. Not sure, could have been from this company or another one
Heli Holland (http://www.heliholland.nl/index.php?id=38&L=1)

mickjoebill
25th Mar 2009, 10:48
with consolidation of the US ENG market

Hi cal, how is the us eng market being consolidated?

Do you think more used cameras will be on the market?

mickjoebill

mickjoebill
25th Mar 2009, 11:03
At the mo there probably isn't a used panning and tilting gyrostabilised answer that doesn't cost less than $350k

There is mechanically semi stabilised kit for under $50k that sits in the doorway.
(but still allowing egress in event of emergency m'lord)

As the producer one has to balance the audiences high expectations with affordable kit that allows you to tell the story.

For instance a couple of fixed rigidly mounted cams with wide angle views which are augmented with hand held wobble cam could tell the story.

But it ain't going to look like "Planet Earth" or "Home" in respect to detailed closeups.

I recently used a Red camera with wide lens on a sit in the door mechanically stabilised rig and for closeups used a small hd camera resting on the seat of the Augusta 109. The combo worked well.

Mickjoebill

JimBall
25th Mar 2009, 14:11
MJB, the US Govt have forced all tv stations to tx in HD - well, their version of HD !!!!

With the costs involved and the current economic probs, many local tv stations are starting to share a helicopter resource, thus creating some (well) used machines with gyromounts.

So - a lot of SD mounts around which would need a little mod to be able to carry an HD camera - depending on whether you use slip rings or not.

Hasn't someone in NZ got a Cineflex V12 for sale ? This could be modded to carry a small HD camera. Nice unit - great stability - and probably weighs in at less than 40lbs.

Dick Smith
25th Mar 2009, 23:16
Thanks everyone for the really useful information, and also thanks for the private messages I have received.

I will be doing some experimenting over the next few weeks with a rigidly fixed camera on the nose. That should show just how much of an effect there is from the vibration.

I知 also going to arrange to do some tests using the Robinson R44 with the company owned gyro mount. When I have seen it on the news I quite often detect a vibration, but that might be at the end of the telephoto range, whereas I知 only looking for wide angle, direct ahead point of view material.

Thanks again.

southerncanuck
25th Mar 2009, 23:26
as jim says, ENG in US is being merged, ships parked, which can only mean cameras parked, mostly UMII/III, V14,Wescam 16 etc. would expect these to slowly start to surface.

dick, if you have "issues" with vibration, let us know, have a slew of various vibration isolators / collars for various camera/sensor. might have something that will work for you
cal