PDA

View Full Version : Meat bombing

bill.lumbergh
24th Mar 2009, 10:41
I've heard this term being used a few times in the context of low timer jobs. So what is it and who does it?

Secondly on the subject of low timer work do any of you guys know of "creative" ways to build hours (and who does them) eg. shark patrols, fire spotting, sky writing, etc..

Thanks.

Mick.B
24th Mar 2009, 10:52
Its where you fly at low level and throw meat into the rivers of Northern Australia to keep the Crocs fed. The meat is laced with all sorts of drugs to keep the crocs agression levels to a acceptable level. Usually suits a low time pilot. :bored:

Ixixly
24th Mar 2009, 10:53
Meat Bombing is the aviation term for dropping skydivers! And obviously ahh... nut jobs jump out of perfectly good aircraft? :}

In terms of building hours, there aren't any exactly creative ways...insurance these days gets rid of a lot of the fun ways i always used to hear about!! I'm looking for my first job myself and at the moment like a lot of others i'll simply take whatever pays i suppose and in the end probably end up doing the usual northward bound pilgrimage towards darwin and northern WA.

I'm sure others out there with more experience will know a bit more and hopefully we'll get some responses here!

Ixixly
24th Mar 2009, 10:55
on second though, can i change my reponse to Mick Bs? his sounds like a lot more fun!!

ernie blackhander
24th Mar 2009, 10:56
Bill, used to maintain meat bombers aka sky dive machines, good hour builders but low pay. 4 years ago i think it was $8 a load/flight. not much i know but it was also something of a thrill for some guys. good luck

Jman1984
24th Mar 2009, 11:58
"Good for hours, but totally roots your stick and rudder skills. You start flying off the trim and have no idea what a 'normal approach' looks like after a while"

Why?

SNS3Guppy
24th Mar 2009, 12:28
And obviously ahh... nut jobs jump out of perfectly good aircraft?

There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft. Just a perfectly good parachute.

Why jump out of a "perfectly good airplane?" Because the door is open.

The term in skydiving is "wuffo." It comes from the tired question "Wuffo you go an jump outta a perfectly good airplane, wuffo?" The person asking this question always feels clever, as though they're the first to ask it. People who ask this question are therefore called "wuffo's" by jumpers, who understand quite well that there are no perfectly good airplanes (particularly jump airplanes), and also perfectly well why one should jump.

Having flown plenty of jumpers, and made a number of skydives myself...I would certainly disagree that one loses one's handflying (stick and rudder) skills, or that one can't make a normal approach.

Go fly a Cessna 206 with five people standing outside the door on the step, hanging from the strut, or off the side of the airplane, and see if it requires stick and rudder skills.

Certainly some approaches are unconventional, but it's not the norm. In the Caravan, I did a crosswind at 18,000', and descended from there on the downwind to a normal landing on the numbers. In a Cessna, it was a normal pattern entry and landing from a normal traffic pattern altitude.

I've never cared for the term "meat missle" or "dropping meat." Skydivers are passengers like any other, save for the fact that they don't land with the airplane; when they exit, they transition from passengers to flying their own bodies and becoming canopy pilots. Skydivers are as much a part of the aviation community as airplane pilots, helicopter pilots, or anybody else in the business.

As far as drugged out jumpers or operators, I've met one. He became a cocaine addict, wrecked his car, lost the drop zone, and everything he owned. I jumped many times at his drop zone, and never saw drug useage, or anyone jump intoxicated or impaired. I've jumped and packed around the world, including Oz (QLD, primarily)...and while there may be the odd character here or there, drunk or drugged jumpers and operators are the exception to the rule.

shortdrygrass
24th Mar 2009, 14:10
SNS3Guppy: great post.

As an ex-skydiver myself (a bit too old for it now - gone back to flying), you've summed up my thoughts in response to the usual vitriol directed towards skydivers very eloquently.

Having done some flying before I took up skydiving, I have a great appreciation for the skill it takes to fly one's body through the air, without the aid of an engine or artificial wings.

Not to mention the thrill.

Sure, I've met my share of losers in that scene - but they have been overwhelmingly outnumbered by those with a genuine lust for flying and a spirit of adventure.

Skydiving is dangerous, so is flying. If you obey the rules neither is as dangerous as driving to the airport. The physics that applies to keeping a heavier-than-air object such as an aircraft airborne applies equally to parachutes when they deploy.

Please don't knock what you don't understand or tar all jumpers with the same brush.

bushy
24th Mar 2009, 15:02
Well said you blokes. Skydiving is just as skillful and scientific as flying, and the margins are smaller.
Some go surfing. Some go skiing. Some go skydiving.
Some, who will never know, just criticise.

Di_Vosh
24th Mar 2009, 22:07
Good to read some intelligent posts on this instead of the usual blather.

One of my regrets is that I never did any meat-bombing in my flying career. (Not too late, I guess. Might have to investigate that one)

To anyone who's never "jumped out of a perfectly servicable aircraft": Don't knock it until you've tried it! It's one of the biggest adrenaline rushes you'll ever get. :ok:

I've 54 static-line military jumps, but never freefall. Water jumps were the best; land jumps sucked :ouch:

DIVOSH!

Ixixly
24th Mar 2009, 23:57
Woah, bit touchy there folks, i wasn't being serious!! Only real bad thing said here about meat bombing (yes i use that term, same as you use wuffo) thats been said was by Jman and it seemed to be more of a quote than anything else!! Need to lighten up a bit here i thinks!

DH 200'
25th Mar 2009, 00:40
Appologies for the slight thread drift but how many licenced pilots are licenced skydivers here? I have my PPL and am studying for my CPL while at the same time I'm gaining my category A skydive Licence. It breaks the monotony of the CPL study up a bit!

Regards,
DH 200"

Lasiorhinus
25th Mar 2009, 00:52
If you're a skydiver, DH 200', then perhaps you should reconsider your decision height and make it a bit higher than 200 feet!:eek:

(or 200 inches, as you signed off your last post with ):E

:ok::ok:

DH 200'
25th Mar 2009, 01:01
:D:D:DLasiorhinus Your completely correct, I may have to reconsider this handle!:ok:

Trojan1981
25th Mar 2009, 01:03
DI Vosh

I agree military SL jumps are pretty cool on the exit (I have 40-odd T10/MC-1) but the landing is not good for your long term health!:eek:
I never got the same rush from freefall. I would like to fly plane loads of dirt darts, especially in clear airspace. I think it would be a bit of a rush itself at times.

Travelair
25th Mar 2009, 01:32
Meatbombing, cropdusting, firebombing, aerial photography, cargo, charter, private, instructing, etc...its all flying. If the hours are worth it its because the pilot did a good job, keeping skills up and not letting complacency run the show. Many of my colleagues have done all of the above in the past and are still good flying jets around. Its all about what you are in the game for.... my 0.02
Tair

SNS3Guppy
25th Mar 2009, 05:15
Flying skydivers, aerial application, aerial firefighting, aerial photography, cargo, charter, private, instructing, etc...its all flying.

Fixed it for you.