PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Charter in Papua New Guinea

Falstaff
27th Aug 2001, 15:49
I'm thinking of hiring a small twin to fly around Papua New Guinea next year. I flew there quite a bit back in the 70's and I've a hankering to see some of the old places again. South Pacific Aero Clubs used to have aircraft for hire, are they still in the business? Is there anyone else?

InFinRetirement
27th Aug 2001, 17:51
You should get in touch with OzXpat right away. That's his territory and will, no doubt, help you you. Or NOT as the case may be.

But I reckon the former.

OzExpat
27th Aug 2001, 18:42
Falstaff... I just happened to see this thread. SPAC is still in business, but more as a pub than anything else these days. Best you MIGHT get out of them is their C152 as the other aircraft, a Cherokee 180 is more often than not out on a semi-permanent cross-hire.

You're better off trying to hire at Cairns and fly up to PNG. You will need international flight approval for it too.

However, I have the feeling that the place you remember will not be the place you see when you get here. It's definitely a case of things "not being as good, the second time around..." :(

Falstaff
28th Aug 2001, 17:56
OzExpat, thanks for your help. I'll have a sniff around Cairns and see what I can get. Wouldn't mind having a beer in the old Aero Club although I don't expect that there are too many faces I'd remember still around. If you're driving balus around the place maybe you could give me some advice when the time gets closer.

Regards...

OzExpat
30th Aug 2001, 16:45
Falstaff... the "old Aero Club" no longer exists. It got bulldozed in the name of progress and there is now a new ... well, much newer than the thing you'd remember, international terminal occupying that prime piece of real estate. Indeed, there is now a completely separate domestic airline terminal as well.

Many, many changes since you were here mate. I doubt that you'd recognize the place, except maybe for the locals, who still do the same ol' things... :D

I've been "driving balus around the place" for the last 17 years, on and off, if that helps you at all.