23rd Mar 2009, 18:28
My glasses prescription is outside the limits for the CAA medical class 1

Glasses prescription
-6.75 left eye
-5.00 Right eye

My contact lenses are within
-4.75 Left eye
-3.50 Right eye

Can I get a CAA class one medical based on this?

If not, can I go through the FAA route as I meet their standards (learning to fly in USA and then coming back to UK and flying here under FAA license???)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Chris

skyhighbird
23rd Mar 2009, 19:29
I'll reply as others won't be too kind!

1. This post should be in the Medical forum.
2. Pick up the phone and call CAA Gatwich - they are very helpful.

Unfortunately, you will fail the CAA Initial - as you have alredy pointed out - you are outside the limits.

If you meet the FAA standards, be aware that you can't "come over here and fly FAA".

pumuckl
23rd Mar 2009, 19:38
Best thing is to call the Medical People in Gatwick.

I see you are 27 years old, so they may say that given your age, your eyesight should be steady by now. (If you were ie. 16 with that prescription, then there would be a good chance that your eyesight may still change a lot over the next few years). If your prescription has been steady for a few years then they may still let you pass as (I believe) you fall within the renewal limits.

Again, best thing is to chat to them. They are likely to want you to fax your prescription to them so they can have a look at it before they can tell you for sure.

Good luck.

p. :ok:

PS: Also do a search in the medical forum!!

PPS: Another suggestion I have for you if you go ahead with your Class 1 Medical in Gatwick is to ask them to check your eyes first. That way, if you fail based on your eyesight, you won't have to pay for the rest of the medical, just for the eyesight test (that was the case a few years ago anyway).

SilveR5
23rd Mar 2009, 20:10
Plus to the posts here, consult the guys at Gatwick about the possibility of correcting your eyesight by non-invasive surgery, like Epi-Lasek (supposed to be the safest). I think it will be ok, but you've got to wait for around 3 months after surgery and before re-testing just to make sure that you've achieved a stable vision.

Good luck

Monkeyboy748
24th Mar 2009, 11:58
I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

I had the same problem, at 18 I was told that I would never fly due to my eyesight. But last year I passed my class one with the restriction that I have to wear and carry a spare set of glasses with me. I wish I had just bitten the bullet and taken the medical earlier a few years ago. As the guys have said you'll never know unless you speak to Gatwick, fax them your prescription and make sure you book to have the thorough eye exam before the main medical. From what I remember the ophthalmologist is pretty hot too.

Best of luck

Grass strip basher
24th Mar 2009, 12:42
Folks are right... go to Gatwick only they can tell you for sure.

Your age is on your side as if you are 27 and your eyesight has been stable for a number of years that helps Vs being 18 I believe.

But call Gatwick and book an appointment... I believe they are usually very good and do the eyetest first so you don;t have to fork out for the full medical if the answer is a "no".