PDA

View Full Version : USAF C-17 down in Texas

KarlADrage
23rd Mar 2009, 17:39
The CNN Wire - Latest updates on top stories - CNN.com Blogs (http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/)

(CNN) — An Air Force C-17 plane crashed Monday near Olney, Texas, a spokesman for Sheppard Air Force Base said.
Olney is about 130 miles west of Dallas.
The spokesman said the plane did not originate at Sheppard AFB and was not one of Sheppard’s planes.
–CNN Senior Pentagon Producer Mike Mount contributed to this report

con-pilot
23rd Mar 2009, 18:00
I saw no story about a C-17 accident on that link. Double check your story please.

Carbon Bootprint
23rd Mar 2009, 18:05
Well, there's this: Witnesses report crash of Air Force C-17 - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/23/texas.plane/)

Though it's so scant on details one might question if there was actually a crash, or if the "witnesses" just though there was one... :confused:

Thaihawk
23rd Mar 2009, 18:05
Callers to police are reporting a C-17A flying low,then crashing near Olney,Texas.

This story is being carried on CNN.

News Shooter
23rd Mar 2009, 18:08
Wichita Falls TV says Pentagon has confirmed

KarlADrage
23rd Mar 2009, 18:14
It was there on the wire when I posted...

Sheppard are now saying they're unable to confirm the crash.

con-pilot
23rd Mar 2009, 18:15
Okay, but no confirmation yet then? As one who has flown over that area for over 40 years, I can tell you that if an aircraft the size of a C-17 crashed, it will be found very quickly.

Let us hope that the C-17 was on a low level training mission and the witnesses are incorrect. There is nothing on CNN or FOX here in the US on this subject. With the tragic accidents yesterday, if there had been a C-17 crash it would be 'Breaking News' on all the TV networks.

I'll keep watching the news and if I see anything I'll report back, until then.....

I have my TV on split screen watching CNN and FOX.

News Shooter
23rd Mar 2009, 18:21
Well, this is interesting. The Wichita Falls station has now removed the story from its website

Marsh Hawk
23rd Mar 2009, 18:28
CNN now saying the report was false.

Report of C-17 crash false, Air Force says - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/23/texas.plane/)

YHZChick
23rd Mar 2009, 18:28
According to CNN:
(CNN) -- Emergency crews have called off the search in Texas for a C-17 transport plane.
Initial Air Force reports of a crash were incorrect, an Air Force spokesman told CNN affiliates.
The Olney Police Department had reported that callers said a plane was flying low to the ground, and then crashed.
Olney is about 45 miles south of Wichita Falls and 130 miles west of Dallas.
A rancher in the area reported that a search was conducted in the area.

Interesting. Anyone ever see that happen before?

KarlADrage
23rd Mar 2009, 18:30
A pleasing outcome.

Apologies for any needless concern caused.

Gatchaman
23rd Mar 2009, 19:09
Interesting. Anyone ever see that happen before?

On more than one occasion Kenya's government has declared a major air crash without telling anyone - notably the press - that it's a drill to test emergency response. :ugh: