PDA

View Full Version : JAA Class 1 initial in a diff. country than renewals?

INNflight
23rd Mar 2009, 08:55
Hello ladies and gents,

I am wondering if it is possible (because after all it's all JAR, right? :ouch:) to have the initial examination for my JAA class 1 in another country than the renewals?

May sound weird, why would you want that you'd ask.

Thing is there's a certified institution doing initials about 1,5hrs from where I live, even though it is in Germany. The Austrian institution would be a 5hrs drive one way, and I'd be keen on not wasting my time on driving if possible. I could do all the renewals back home after that.

Thanks vm in advance! :ok:

tigermagicjohn
23rd Mar 2009, 12:40
Your class 1 must be in the country of license issue.
I believe you can change over with a small fee, however you might get questions why you come to Germany for the medical.
If you going to take your license in Germany should be fine, if in Austria - then you will need to change it over first.

And one more note, it's all JAR, does not mean it is all the same!
I can't get UK class 1, but get Dansih class 1 - and now the 2 CAA are arguing amongst themselves - and it's all JAR! :ugh:

I have to take my CPL in Denmark with danish class 1 - I can fly in the UK as long as the employer does not ask me for UK class 1 medical - and it is all JAR!

Hopefully within few years they will all see sense, we can hope!!!

Kelly Hopper
23rd Mar 2009, 14:22
JAR is nothing more than an agreement to disagree!
Member states with differing medicals, FTL's, standards. It is a farce.

INNflight
23rd Mar 2009, 15:07
Thanks very much for the fast replies gents...it's gonna be the 10hrs drive then I guess.

Hoping for EU-OPS to bring significant improvements is naive too I guess :suspect: