PDA

View Full Version : Transition to Jet

lineup
16th Dec 2000, 18:05
Does anyone know a book or has a handout for a transition from Prop to Jet flying? (High altitude flying, buffet, weather etc.)Thanks for any info.

------------------
"Ready for Anything; Prepared for Everything; Surprised by Nothing !"

Dan Winterland
18th Dec 2000, 00:13
The book you want is 'Handling the big jets' by DP Davies. It's a bit dated now, as the most modern aircraft mentioned is the 747 Classic, but it is the only book in it's class - and very good. Don't confuse it with 'Flying the big jets' which is more for spotters. 'Handling' is available from Transair phone 01273 466000.

FO Cokebottle
18th Dec 2000, 07:21
Flying the Wing

L J R
18th Dec 2000, 10:27
On a similar note, having done almost all of my 20 yrs in the military flying jets, can anyone explain why a prop engine needs three levers. Having recently done a civilian rating, on what I understand to be a 'light twin' my instructor appeared frustrated at my lack of knowledge!.

Flying jets appears more simple than flying props [Throttles cancel drift don't they?]

Just jokes lads, I don't really want another string of BAK. - although some of you may say that I do.

BOING
21st Dec 2000, 07:10
"Handling the Big Jets" is a great book. It is a bit dated. In fact you will find modern comm. jets much easier to fly than the ones used as typical examples by Davis, (Unlikely now that you will ever get the chance to fly a 707 or VC10!). Davis mentions nothing, of course, about the trend to advanced autoflight systems. However, if you understand the theory that Davis explains you will probably know more than most airline flight centres expect. Can't be bad.

------------------

before landing check list
21st Dec 2000, 14:46
"Stick and Rudder". Live it, love it
j

------------------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, may you cheat death.
If you steal, may you steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, may you fight for a brother.
And if you drink, may you drink with me.