PDA

View Full Version : Panic by Barclays Bank towards Air travel!

ops
4th Oct 2001, 22:11
You won't believe what I found out yesterday!!!

Barclays Bank has pushed out a memo to all its staff advising them NOT to travel by air unless absolutely necessary, business or pleasure!!!!

I am outraged by the knee jerk reaction with which this billion pound corporation is inciting panic. The next time a bank is robbed at knife point make sure we all take our money out of that bank(BARCLAYS !!!) .....because as we all know......it wont be safe to enter another bank ever again afterwards, we might get killed!!!!!!!!

If I was with Barclays I would now be moving all my accounts to a better place!!
I hope all you at Barclays Bank realise that if we all withdrew our money from your business you would have no business, HELP the airlines, don't shaft them ! :mad: :mad:

Sir Kitt Braker
4th Oct 2001, 22:16
Just about every major international organisation has issued a similar directive. It will all change back again over the next 6 - 12 months and in the meantime, few people are going to fly unless they need to, just to keep pilots salaries coming in.

lagonda
6th Oct 2001, 15:16
Most big corporates have life insurance, both in and out of service for their senior employees and many executive staff.

Insurers will be advising them, as much as any other, to minimise risk and claims.

It happens every time there is a level of uncertainty, following a big disaster.

It will recover as it has in the past.

ops
6th Oct 2001, 22:16
Hi Guys/Gals

IMHO You seem to have missed the point, I feel it is disgraceful that large corporations should be advising staff to avoid a certain means of Travel because of kneejerk Panic. Do these same companies advise their staff not to take train journeys after a major catastrophy or not to drive their car's, as we all know how many people are killed on the roads each year!!!! Come to think of it, WALKING to work could get you run over so best not do that either!!!

This is the point that I'm trying to make "Banks and Insurance companies should assist in hard times, not kill his business because of unsubstantiated PANIC!"

I'm not making this point out of securing my wage packet but out of disgust at this attitude and trying to bring some common sense, because as you say, things with a bit of luck will be back to 'relatively' normal in 6/12 months. However will some of the airline business last that 6/12 months with the attitude that BARCLAYS is displaying.

fireflybob
6th Oct 2001, 23:00
How would Barclays Bank feel if all the airlines wrote to their employees advising them not to bank with Barclays and close their accounts because there was a "risk" of the bank "crashing"?

I think this attitude is fairly typical of the "Big 4" at the moment.

5552N0426W
7th Oct 2001, 14:35
ops

That's exactly what The Bank of Scotland did to Gill on 20th September.
A posting was put on at that time that anybody with an account at Bank of Scotland should close and remove it asap. Give them some of their own medicine.

I'm sure that there are more "aviation people" out there with Barclays than with Bank of Scotland so try it.

Beware of bankers.