PDA

View Full Version : Amiens raid pilot obit

Mike7777777
22nd Mar 2009, 18:37
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4974874/Squadron-Leader-Tom-McPhee.html

">They were shown a replica model of the prison, and told to fly as low as 25ft.<"

Quite low then.

XV490
22nd Mar 2009, 19:51
RIP, Tom. What an incredible feat - flown from Hunsdon in Herts, I believe.

Double Zero
22nd Mar 2009, 22:42
People nowadays would say ' only possible with LGB's etc ' as said, a remarkable feat by true heroes, RIP.

The Real Slim Shady
22nd Mar 2009, 23:56
The Amiens raid was led by Charles "Boy " Pickard, who was also the protagonist in "Target for Tonight".

Both Pickard and his navigator were killed when they circled the target directing the attack following their own attack. I believe they are buried nearby.

I visited the area to see the target run and the topography, but it has changed beyond recognition from the original photographs, as the area is so built up now. I didn't have the opportunity to find their graves and pay my respects.

And just in case any smart alec jumps in...I studied this raid quite closely, hence didn't pinch the info from the obit.

Brian Abraham
23rd Mar 2009, 00:30
Chap from the home town (McRitche) was shot down on the raid and his Nav unfortunately killed. As an apprentice worked with his brother. There is a photo about showing a tailwheel in the upper part of the photo (camera had to be on the belly looking aft) and frames another Mossie sweeping over the prison.

henry crun
23rd Mar 2009, 04:18
I had the privilege of serving under the man who planned the route for that raid,
E.B. Ted Sismore DSO, DFC, AFC.

By George
23rd Mar 2009, 07:35
Brian Abraham, I had the pleasure in the early seventies of flying with Ian McRitche. He was training at Civil Flying School in Melbourne Victoria to get back into flying and at the time I was a very sprog Instructor. He was shot down on that raid and If I remember correctly his Nav was killed. He was a real character of the likes I've never seen before or since. He flew the little Beechcraft Musketeer like a fighter. He went on to buy a Queen Air but I never kept in contact. If I ever saw that aeroplane in the circuit I always kept out of his way. A great 'stick man'.

Mike7777777
27th Mar 2009, 19:36
An epic raid,

War veteran aurthur dunlop operation jericho |bath News | Western Daily Press (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/news/heroes-Operation-Jericho/article-710437-detail/article.html)

">I'll never forget the look on the face of the guard in the tower. We were so low he was actually looking down at us. It's fair to say he was quite surprised.<"