PDA

View Full Version : Pilot to LAME??

MAXX
22nd Mar 2009, 00:12
Gday all,

I am a pilot with 15 years of experience in many different roles.

I have a genuine interest in becoming a Lame

If anyone has any advice in the best way to achieve this I would greatly appreciate any help.

Cheers

MAXX

300Series
22nd Mar 2009, 09:27
I am looking to do the same thing. I have spoken to the maintenance controller at the airline i work for and basically, all that is required is 4 yrs industry experience. Your flying experience counts towards this. Then you decide what license you want, in my case im chasing airframes & engines, and in our fleet ill get pressurisation & aircon systems also, then you do the relevant exams which can be found on the casa website under "Maintainers" i think. Do AA last as this is one of those 1yr deals where you have 1 yr to get your ticket after you complete the exam. Anyway you get your SOE, then when you can, you just go into the hangar and "help out" and you log the hours you do. eg. "Conduct pressurisation check on ground, 0.5" or whatever, then you need certain hours conducting certain types of maintenance then you shoot off your SOE to casa and then you get your ticket.

Then you can be a LAME PILOT! :ugh::ok:

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Mar 2009, 10:06
Yeah 300 series, piece of cake.... Just don't come near anything that I'm going to fly!

Maxx. I'd be inclined to have a chat to CASA as well as some of the trade schools (TAFE) that can give you an idea of your best path. Some of your experience will count toward some of the trade qualifications.

Beware of pilots telling you that signing out work performed on aircraft is no big deal. It is.

bbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz

Beeroclock
22nd Mar 2009, 10:52
Your flying will count for nothing!! You need to have sat all your Casa basics and have all your SOE filled out before you will be able to be a LAME..SOE takes years to get..Sitting all the basics not easy either in my opinion they are harder then the ATPLs and alot more of them.If you decide to do it do the conehead exams over the greaser exams,or do both and become a SLAME.. Good luck tho..

Hasherucf
22nd Mar 2009, 13:30
Dont waste your time with TAFE , go to a private group . If you want a Aeroskills cert IV there easy to get if you have the basics and 2 years experiance. You apply for RPL and pay around $1200 .

Becoming a LAME depends on what you want to work on . So you need to tailor the exams you do to what you want to work on. If you want to work Airlines like Qantas and VB and miltary you will need a CERT IV in Aeroskills. There are 56 exams to choose from and those cover Airframe , Engine , Electrical , instruments and radio.

If your aiming for Qantas then you can get away with about 10 or 11 exams. If your working GA then the skys the limit,I already have 20+ exams and my boss 30+ . I find experiance easy to come across and the SOE fills fast.

There seems no shortage of work out there so get to a workshop and have a talk to the guys .

Mustangbaz
22nd Mar 2009, 21:17
Try starting an apprenticeship?, say 1 year Ame - mechanical or structures pre-apprenticeship course (Aviation Australia - Brisbane) then 4 years on the job with the rat or GA, do your basics as your training at school then get your SOE, it takes a while but you'll be there in 5 years or so :ok:

mutorcs
22nd Mar 2009, 22:18
why bother ?