PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa and CityLine

Cat-Club
4th Oct 2001, 09:06
We have been hearing about some of the majors potentially on the brink of "falling over", Swissair (now back it seems), Air Portugal, BA and so on, but what about Lufthansa and their Commuter operations??

I know the BAe146 operation in which BMi operate for LH is coming to an end but will the downturn in seat sales have any major effect in the near immediate??

It seems LH are keeping their heads down, but in reality, are they struggling like most large carriers appear to be doing?? :rolleyes:

reimers
6th Oct 2001, 15:48
Of course Lufthansa has its problems. Routes are cut and there is a general ban of hiring. The contract that the LH pilots negociated earlier this year all of a sudden is worth 60% less that hoped (This of course being part of both sides' strategy to make the contract affordable).
Cityline propably will take over some of the routes that have been contracted out and might also fly some routes no longer economical for Lufthansa, so they seem to be in a better situation.

Now, as a bottom line, of course an airline that has been fortunate to have had recoud profit years will be more likely to manage through a crisis than an airline whose strategy has proven disastrous even without the crisis.
We at Lufthansa hope our management are as able as they were during the last decade, and hope for all personnel at other airlines that they manage to keep as many jobs as possible.

Schorsch
8th Oct 2001, 02:48
Yep, I was the other day in STN and I was told that LH is pulling out of it. :confused: Is STN so bad or are low fare airline´s so good?