PDA

View Full Version : Malaria : Vietnam / HCMC

CherokeeDriver
21st Mar 2009, 14:54
Hi there. I've looked at "offical" sites and get mixed advice for Malaria Tablet requirements to visit HCMC / Mekong Delta. I react very badly to the tablets and want to avoid them if at all possible. I plan to go down the "prevention" route and cover up at all times and cover myself in anti-mozzie lotion but can any locals offer advice if malaria tablets are needed?

Will obviously follow up with a detailed discussion with my medical professional, but some background info from locals / regular visitors would be helpful.

thanks, in advance.

CD

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Mar 2009, 19:06
Enquire at your local GP surgery; they have all the latest information and will give you good advice. Also, here is a good web page:
MASTA Travel Health - For All Your Travel Vaccination Advice (http://www.masta-travel-health.com/masta-health-brief.aspx)

I don't think the quacks would agree with you not taking some sort of medication, but the type varies depending on the area you will visit.

galaxy flyer
21st Mar 2009, 23:47
CD

Have you tried Malerone (a new anti-malarial). I have used it repeatedly over the last 4 years with no ill effects. One tablet the day before arriving, one each day and one each day after leaving the affected area. Very good and effective

Gf

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Mar 2009, 08:00
Malarone has been in use for about 10 years, but the actual medication you require depends on which Malaria area you are visiting so please take professional advice.

gingernut
22nd Mar 2009, 10:39
Visit your GP/Practice nurse, and leth them know anbout your previous intolerance.

There are suitable alternatives, ask if you can trial them prior to your trip.

Don't mess about with the world biggest killer.

Bob the Doc
22nd Mar 2009, 20:09
Vietnam well known for malaria outside built up areas. Often chloroquine resistant if I remember correctly. Would certainly be very cautious about going there without proper prophylaxis but advice from appropriate sources required. What have you tried and reacted with?

Lariam well known for sending about 10% of people using it frankly loopy and quite a few others get some really dodgy dreams. Malarone less of a problem (and has the advantage of requiring a much shorter lead-in period) but may not be appropriate for 'Nam. Was certainly OK for Sierra Leone last time I went there and chloroquine resistance a major problem there too.

Sorry I can't be more specific help but the advice for this changes on a monthly basis!

gingernut
22nd Mar 2009, 21:53
A couple of things Bob the Doc has reminded me of.....

avoid Larium (Mefloquine) if operating precision instruments, (I know it's only pushing a few knobs and pressing the odd button, but flying probably counts.)

Also, be wary of advice from locals, their level of resistance will outweigh yours. I'm a bit out of the loop, but I used to find Travax database useful and robust.

Cutting down the number of bites will help, travelling to a malarious region without drug protection is a bit like driving to Cornwall without a seat belt......odds are you'll be ok, BUT :}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Mar 2009, 08:06
Ginge.... Isn't Larium banned for pilots? I'm pretty sure it is for air traffic controllers in the UK.

gingernut
23rd Mar 2009, 19:26
Don't no mate, I'm not an AME.

It's contraindicated in those "performing precision activities." That's from local guidance, not The BNF.

I guess it's the potential to cause Neuropsychiatric reactions (whatever that means!), that twitches the authorities.

And there are safer, equally effective, alternatives.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Mar 2009, 19:31
OK Doc, thanks. Ex-colleague of mine had a glitch on his ECG and when the medic found out he'd been on Larium he suspended his medical certificate. His wife, also an ATCO was also suspended - they'd both taken Larium for an overseas trip. My wife and I took it before the scare stories and it didn't effect us too much - we just wanted to fly off the odd rooftop, that's all!

CherokeeDriver
24th Mar 2009, 22:26
Thanks for all the advice. It seems it is a little tricky when you're spending some time in the cities, but delving out to the suburbs in Vietnam.

I've found a great MD who understands flying and malaria and will see them next week!

CD