PDA

View Full Version : Which Route CPL/FI or CPL/IR

aces low
31st Oct 2000, 13:43
Your probably thinking this question should be on the wannabe pages, but I thought I might get some experienced pilot’s views from this site.

The question is which is the better route for a 39-year-old, 220 hours TT, shortly going to pass the ATPL JAR exams. My aspiration is to be an airline pilot, not a career instructor either. I am particularly interested in corporate or other interesting types of flying (e.g. Air Atlantique)…but time is short because of my age.

Route 1: CPL, FI then instruct to 1000 hours before taking IR/MCC and trying to get a job.

Route 2: CPL/IR/MCC and look for job immediately (Total time will only be 300ish).

As far as I can guess, route 1 is sane but slow. Whereas route 2 is quick, but may not be able to get a job when I complete the ratings.

What do the experienced, professional pilots who have made it reckon?

FlyingCrew
31st Oct 2000, 18:37
aces low,
i had the same problem like you. may i advise take both the ratings, instruct while you look for an airline job? this way, you build up hours and also have some pocket money thru instructing while waiting for that dream job.
cheers!

aces low
1st Nov 2000, 14:33
Flying Crew, did you spend the whole wodge (CPL/IR/FI) all at the same time or did you select them in any particular order ?