PDA

View Full Version : Other EU pilots taking your job!

whataboutbubba
23rd Aug 2001, 21:12
What do all the UK pilots think (especially wannabe´s) about all the European pilots coming to the UK for all the vacancies out there. Pilots from scandinavia,germanie, holland and other countries. Any comments.

MPH
23rd Aug 2001, 21:37
I hate to see postings like this one. Grow up, have you sat down and thought about the amount of British pilots flying around the world. Heard of the word, expate. And, I might add, not only from the U.K., but from different countries. :confused:

tarjet fixated
23rd Aug 2001, 21:41
You choose to be part of the EU so you have to accept other EU nationals as if they were UK ones, this means that every EU citizen is allowed to live and work anywhere within the EU.
Moreover you should know that there are lots of UK pilots working elsewhere in Europe (we have quite a few of them in my company here in Italy).
What do i think about the issue?That it's a great opportunity for all of us europeans to work and live between ourselves.
One last thought about this: should everybody else kick out of their respective countries your fellow UK pilots (as you would probably like to see done in the UK)they would have nowhere to go back to but the UK...and you would see all these Cathay,Emirates,Air Europe and so on pilots taking the jobs you are referring to.
Think..........

Skunkworks
23rd Aug 2001, 21:43
ZZZZZ!

Maybe the pilots from "germanie" pass the English spelling tests, and "steal" the jobs!

You mention EU, any idea what it stands for?

Kato747
23rd Aug 2001, 21:43
Oh, Jeeeeeeezussssss. Another candidate for the ignore list. Make a note whataboutbubba. :o :o :o

JiveBomber
23rd Aug 2001, 21:50
I agree it's sad to be divided, as the nature of our profession requires international travel.However it does seem that there are many many more foreign nationals working for UK outfits than vice versa.I get the impression that whilst management of British companies look solely to the bottom line, people who rise to such positions abroad, feel some kind of social responsibility, and are either compelled by conscience or legislation to act in the best interests of their countrymen.There are a couple of threads running at the moment on similar lines, but the general concensus seems to be that the UK takes all the guff as usual.Any expats, foreign nationals operating here or Americans care to comment please.

reimers
23rd Aug 2001, 23:19
Well, it's not your job until you have it and manage to keep it. Every EU citizen has the right to find a job anywhere in the EU, so feel free to look for employment in Germany (or France) if you wish. Or would you rather go back to the old days, or even prohibit scotts from seeking employment in England?
By the way, everyone would be on the floor laughing if I was to complain about British carriers taking "our" German passengers for a ride through LHR/LGW. It's their right!

GAF4139
24th Aug 2001, 00:15
Nothings stops UK pilots from looking for a job in another EU country - apart from their lack of foreign language skills that is.

GAF4139

Steepclimb
24th Aug 2001, 13:59
Every now and then one of these posts appear with someone complaining that Johnny Foreigner is stealing, presumably, 'their' pilot job. As usual their appalling ignorance of the situation doesn't stop them persisting with this nonsense.
They ignore facts that all airlines in the UK are privately owned and for the most part British run. They hire pilots as they need them on the basis of their qualifications and experience for sound commercial reasons. But who would naturally prefer to hire their own citizens if only enough of them with suitable experience applied.

They also ignore the fact tha throughout the world with the possible exception of Americans the most commonly heard 'foreign' accents on the flight deck originate in the British Isles.

You should also be glad that there is a fairly buoyant airline industry in Britain which supports a large pilot population. Unlike other countries obviously, otherwise they would hardly be heading to Britain looking for work. Parhaps the reason all these 'damm foreigners' leave their own countries is that there are few jobs for anyone let alone citizens of other countries who can't be bothered to learn the local language.

All of this is fairly obvious and well known to anyone with half a brain. But one or two of you haven't acheived that distinction.

[ 24 August 2001: Message edited by: Steepclimb ]

Yabaduu
29th Aug 2001, 16:54
It annoys me to see in everyday life how some short minded pilots still think taht way. We are living in a global world, we work in one of the few jobs were cultural diversity is one of the keys to appreciating the job and, still some people do not realice about it.

I obtained my CPL/IR frozen ATPL in the UK. At the time nobody was complaining. I was spending thousands of pounds in the UK, I was cool!! However, one day I passed my final flying test. I was no longer puttting money into UK pockets. I was now looking for a job in the UK. Dear GOD!!!! He now wants a job!. Its Ok to take the money from him, its Ok to get him a UK CAA license yet, a job in the UK??

I have know been wotking for a 1 1/2 years in the UK and I think is great! And I'm not going to lose my job or stop looking for jobs within the UK just because some plunker is not capable of finding a job. Because that the only reason why people complain.

There are may companies in non EU countries that employ UK pilots (Cathay, Emirates, Gulf Air, China,...) These companies do not have objection in their pilots not being able to speak their own language. And these companies are saturated with Uk pilots.

I will not even bother talking about the language issue.

I appreciate the opportunities that the UK is giving me.But, after all the money I have put into UK companies I believe I deserve these oppotunities. ;)

The Guvnor
29th Aug 2001, 18:49
Absolutely nothing wrong with someone coming here if you can go to their country under similar conditions. What I object to are people coming over here and taking EU positions - yet when EU pilots go over there, every obstacle possible is thrown up to prevent them getting jobs. :mad: :mad: :mad:

When it comes to EU pilots working in the UK, I have no problem at all - there is completely free movement of labour within the EU.

Flintstone
30th Aug 2001, 00:52
This is obviously a wind up by some half-brain with nothing better to do.

Moderator? Flush this away would you, there's a good chap :rolleyes:

Obi Wan Kirk
30th Aug 2001, 11:50
Trajet Fixated who do you fly for, Air europe by any chance?