PDA

View Full Version : Pilots are there to help

Lan Ding Gere
31st Oct 2000, 13:36
I recently took a return flight on BA back to LHR from Del on 27th October.

I had prepared a small note, including my business card requesting a ride in the Jump seat for t/o and or landing.

I managed to spot one of the first officers in the Terminal just after checking in and approached him. After having introduced myself and explaining what I did and why I wanted to take the jump seat, he was very impressed. After also giving him the letter, he mentioned that he would talk to the skipper and try to arrange something for me.

On boarding the aircraft, I was greeted by the same first office who introduced me to the Purser and explained that after settling down, I was free to go up to the cockpit when I was ready. Several minutes had passed and to my surprise, the F/O actaully came down to take me up. In all, I found the atmosphere VERY friendly and the Pilot and F/O very helpful. After having spent about 50 minutes after takeoff, I returned to take my seat. After the 9 hour flight, the Pilot sent down one of the stewardesses to collect me for the landing.

I have to say, this was one of the best experiences I have had for a long time, not forgetting to mention that how pleasant and helpfull all the crew were in accomodating me and helping out.

For all those wanting a jumpseat ride, prepare a brief not and if you can, have a very quick conversation with the crew if possible, to make it a bit more personal.

A big thank you to all the crew on BA flight 144 from Del to LHR.

LDG